Rising water levels have forced some New Brunswickers to evacuate, while the province has issued an advisory that citizens along the St. John River should be on high alert for possible flooding.
The province is warning that rainfall, forecast to be between 20 and 40 millimeters overnight into Sunday, combined with snowmelt will enhance the threat of flooding.
New Brunswick says people in areas that have experienced flooding in the past should expect similar or worse conditions.
For the residents of Maugerville, N.B., that means evacuating their homes.
It’s not an unusual process for those in town; those who stayed during last year’s historic floods saw roadways become impassable, forcing individuals to use boats to get around.
Dawn Sharpe of Maugerville, N.B., says her home’s driveway is now flooded and she’s temporarily relocated to the Maugerville Community Centre.
Dawn Sharpe, a resident of Maugerville, is staying in a trailer at the Maugerville Community Centre.
The driveway of her home has flooded and the road leading to her home is no longer safe to travel on.
Other communities are still bracing for the floodwaters to begin. The provincial government says the following communities should remain on high alert:
- Clair/Fort Kent
- Grand Lake
- Sheffield/Lakeville Corner
- Oak Point
- Quispamsis/Saint John
“Residents intending to relocate from their residences should be finalizing arrangements,” the advisory issued by the New Brunswick government reads.
“Flood waters may rise quickly limiting access and making evacuation more difficult by increasing risks to those involved.”
Residents in dire circumstances can also register with the Red Cross if they are in need of assistance.
The New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) continues to monitor other watercourses and may issue advisories for more communities if necessary.
A request for federal assistance from the New Brunswick government has been accepted and the Canadian Armed Forces are ready to offer help if needed.
The province says the armed forces are performing reconnaissance and planning activities to determine where their assistance could be required.
Lt.-Col. Sean French said at a press conference on Saturday that 120 troops will be deployed to the area. They’ll follow the orders of EMO and are currently assisting with sandbagging efforts.
Source: Read Full Article