Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty to fresh charges of sexual assault Monday as prosecutors fought to place him under house arrest as his criminal case plays out.
Weinstein, looking pale and wearing a black suit and tie, was cuffed behind his back for his Manhattan Supreme Court appearance just one week after he was indicted on new charges of predatory sexual assault — which could land him up to life behind bars.
Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi argued that Weinstein should be subjected to house arrest because of the seriousness of the potential prison sentence.
She also said he no longer has ties to the area given the recent sale of his Westport, Connecticut, mansion.
“These cases, because they do span over the last 14 and 15 years, just just show the breadth of criminality here. They don’t in any way weaken the case,” said Illuzzi.
But Weinstein attorney Benjamin Brafman said house arrest wasn’t necessary, given that he’s already surrendered his passport and is wearing an location-monitoring ankle bracelet.
“Mr. Weinstein faces a potential life sentence that does not change the landscape he has lived under since he’s been charged,” Brafman said, noting that the initial rape charges carried a five- to 25-year sentence, “which for a 66-year-old person is life.”
The lawyer added that under terms of the sale of the home, the 66-year-old is allowed to live there until February 2019. His medical appointments are also in Connecticut, Brafman said.
“The house in Connecticut is in close proximity to all of the doctors that are currently treating him,” said Brafman, who did not disclose Weinstein’s illness.
Weinstein — who has previously denied all allegations of non-consensual sex — is free on $1 million bail.
Judge James Burke declined to change the conditions of Weinstein’s release and set the next court date in September.
The fallen fillmmaker signed two new orders of protection related to the case.
“Yes sir,” he told the judge, when asked if he understood the orders of protection.
Weinstein has been accused of sexually harassing and assaulting as many as 80 women and was charged in May with rape and criminal sexual act of two separate women in 2013 and 2004.
The latest charges are tied to a third accuser, production assistant Mimi Haleyi, who’s accused Weinstein of a forcible sex act in 2006, sources told The Post.
Haleyi’s lawyer Gloria Allred sat in the second row of the courtroom for Weinstein’s arraignment and jotted notes on a yellow notepad.
At a press conference last October, Haleyi recalled how Weinstein allegedly held her down on a bed in one of his kid’s rooms in his Soho pad and performed oral sex on her.
Haleyi, who met the powerful producer in 2004, said the horrific ordeal left her “mortified.”
In court, Brafman blasted the publicity of Haleyi’s accusations.
“If you look at YouTube of the woman in this case reading her statement in October of 2017, she reads from a script and the lawyer is so close to her that the lawyer is actually mouthing the words that she is reading,” he said.
Outside court, Brafman reiterated to a throng of reporters, “Any suggestion that Mr. Weinstein raped anyone, based on the overwhelming evidence that I have in my position already, is ludicrous.”
Meanwhile, Allred didn’t mention Haleyi by name but said her client was more than ready to testify under oath.
“Mr. Brafman, I believe that you have a significant problem if your defense of your client, Mr. Weinstein, is that the alleged third victim consented,” Allred told reporters. “Your argument is not evidence. You may simply be repeating what your client told you. If not, you may just be floating a self-serving legal theory which you hope will gain traction.”
Additional reporting by Igor Kossov
Source: Read Full Article