Mario Batali being investigated by NYPD for sexual assault allegations

The NYPD has launched a criminal investigation into Mario Batali — whose company announced that it’s cutting all ties with him — following new accusations that he drugged and sexually assaulted a colleague.

The NYPD confirmed Monday that it’s investigating “allegations raised in ’60 Minutes’ report” that aired Sunday night involving a former waitress at one of the disgraced celebrity chef’s restaurants.

She claimed in an interview Sunday that she woke up in a fog on the floor of The Spotted Pig restaurant with semen on her skirt back in 2005.

“The first thing I think is, ‘I’ve been drugged.’ That was the first thing I thought is, ‘I’ve been — I’ve been assaulted,’” she recalled on the show.

The woman was not identified but worked at Batali’s high-end Italian eatery Babbo on Waverly Place.

She said she woke up in an empty room on The Spotted Pig’s third floor — nicknamed the “rape room” by workers — with hardly any recollection of what happened the night before.

“I remember a moment where I was on his lap, kissing him. Like, he was kissing me. And then I remember throwing up — in a toilet. And that is all,” she said.

Then, she found two stains on her skirt.

“There were two areas. It looked like DNA,” the woman said.

“Semen?” Cooper asked.

“Semen,” she responded.

The woman said she called a crisis hotline, underwent an exam at a hospital and connected with an NYPD detective — but couldn’t go forward with reporting the alleged assault.

“They tried getting me to file a report. They tried, they tried. But I — you know, a young actress, no resources, no money. I couldn’t. I couldn’t do it,” she said.

In a statement, B&B Hospitality Group – which Batali founded with chef Joe Bastianich — called the woman’s allegations “chilling and deeply disturbing” and said it was “the first we learned” of them.

“Our partnership with Mr. Batali is ending,” the company said, according to CBS. “We have been actively negotiating with Mr. Batali to buy his interests in the restaurants, and he and Joe Bastianich have signed a letter of intent that sets forth the broad terms to do so.

“We expect to have the final terms set by July 1, and that Nancy Silverton, Lidia Bastianich, Mr. Bastianich, and other current investors will participate in the acquisition.”

Four other women have accused Batali of unwanted groping and kissing. He was fired in December from his daytime food and talk show, “The Chew,” and stepped down from his company.

Last year, the Crocs-wearing 57-year-old apologized for his alleged behavior.

“I have made many mistakes and I am so very sorry that I have disappointed my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he wrote in an email newsletter. “My behavior was wrong and there are no excuses. I take full responsibility.”

Friedman has also been accused of sexually harassing 10 women and has apologized.

Batali issued a statement regarding the new allegations, saying, “I vehemently deny the allegation that I sexually assaulted this woman.”

Source: Read Full Article