- Mark Hamill didn't just play Luke Skywalker in "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" — he also had a secret cameo role as an alien named Boolio.
- The movie's creature and special makeup effects creative supervisor, Neal Scanlan, told Insider that even he didn't know about Hamill's cameo until he saw the movie.
- Boolio's voice is credited to an actor named Patrick Williams, a pseudonym that contains Hamill's two brothers' names.
- The actor had another "Star Wars" cameo playing the alien Dobbu Scay in 2017's "Star Wars: The Last Jedi."
- Scanlan said that Hamill wore a motion capture suit to play Dobbu, and that the effects team were "aware that time, absolutely."
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
After playing Luke Skywalker in the original "Star Wars" movies, Mark Hamill established himself as a successful voice actor who most memorably portrayed The Joker in "Batman the Animated Series" and several other movies and video games.
Hamill recently lent his voice acting talents to a second secret role in "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" that was so under wraps, not even the man designing his character knew about it until he saw the movie.
Hamil voiced the alien Boolio, who delivers important information to the Resistance and is killed soon afterward.
"That was a secret," creature and special makeup effects creative supervisor Neal Scanlan told Insider of Hamill's second "TROS" role. "We had no idea. When we did that character on set, one of our puppeteers who operates the animatronic facial features voiced that line. And we had no idea that Mark was gonna play that until I went to the movies."
Given the extreme lengths that Disney and Lucasfilm have gone to in order to keep "Star Wars" spoilers from leaking in the past (such as making actors read movie scripts in a room with cameras), the secrecy behind Hamill's second role isn't so surprising in retrospect.
Viewers might not know that Hamill played Boolio because he's credited under a pseudonym
Boolio was played on screen by Aidan Cook and voiced by "Patrick Williams," a name that holds special significance for Hamill.
"If I did have billing, in the past as a pseudonym I've used a combination of my brothers' names, and I call myself Patrick Williams," the actor said in a 2017 interview with Cinemablend.
Boolio wasn't the first cameo role that Hamill had in the 'Star Wars' sequel trilogy
In 2017's "Star Wars: The Last Jedi," he played an alien named Dobbu Scay, who tries to use BB-8 as a slot machine on the casino planet Canto Bight.
Hamill wore a motion capture suit to play the role, meaning that his Dobbu cameo was no secret to Scanlan and the rest of the effects team.
"We were aware that time around, absolutely," Scanlan said. "We knew that Mark was gonna play that role, and the CG guys, you know, Ben Morrison, and everybody were onto that early, and I think they motion-captured Mark, and the character is built around Mark's performance."
"Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" is now available on Digital and available on Blu-ray March 31.
Source: Read Full Article