Sir Paul McCartney paid tribute to his parents as he was made a Companion of Honour for services to music.
The Beatle, 75, was joined by wife Nancy Shevell at Buckingham Palace on Friday morning as he received the honour from the Queen more than 20 years after his knighthood.
In a written statement to the Press Association, Sir Paul said: "I see this as a huge honour for me and my family and I think of how proud my Liverpool mum and dad would have been to see this."
His former bandmate and only other living Beatle Sir Ringo Starr received a knighthood earlier this year.
Retired ballerina and Strictly Come Dancing judge Darcey Bussell was also honoured st the ceremony as she became a dame for services to dance.
Recipients also included former English cricketer Clare Connor, who collected a CBE, former alpine skier Sarah Lewis, OBE, and Holocaust survivor Dr Martin Stern, MBE.
McCartney’s last public outing was a much more sombre occasion as he visited the site where his friend John Lennon was shot dead in March as he protested against gun violence in America in March.
The Beatles star took place in a March For Our Lives protest, walking through Central Park in New York City with thousands of other protesters.
And during the event, he remembered his late friend John , who was killed in December 1980, not far from the site of the march.
The musician told CNN he had come "just to support the people" before referencing the death of his childhood friend John Lennon who he formed The Beatles with.
"One of my best friends was killed in gun violence right around here," he said, "So it’s important to me."
He added he was unsure if gun violence can be ended, adding: "But this is what we can do, so I’m here to do it."
Source: Read Full Article