Dog Almost Dies After Being Left Out in the Freezing Cold Overnight During a Snowstorm

Connecticut authorities are seeking justice for the dog who was heartlessly abandoned in a park this week and left to die overnight during a snowstorm.

Suffield Animal Control announced in a Facebook post on Thursday morning that they discovered the dog, whom they affectionately named Brooks, tied to a tree off of a trail in Stony Brook Park in Darien.

Reps from the animal shelter said Brooks was found alone with a leash wrapped around his back legs so tightly that it was cutting off circulation. His fur was also badly matted and icicles were hanging from his body.

Suffield Animal Control explained that they immediately transported the 8 to 11-year-old male Terrier mix to a nearby veterinarian, where he has been since receiving treatment and making progress.

“Let it be known that animal cruelty doesn’t go unnoticed in our town,”  animal control wrote on Facebook, along with several photos of the pooch standing in the snow and after he was rescued.

On Friday, Suffield Animal Control announced that they had created a GoFundMe campaign for Brooks to assist with his medical expenses.

“You can help us with the cost of the vet bills accruing due to the nature of neglect that he’s experienced,” they shared. “He will need much further medical attention, and anything you can do will be very much appreciated.”

The fundraising post, which promised to show updated photos of Brooks’ “resilience and zest for life,” also gave more of a detailed explanation into the trauma the dog had suffered and the treatments that he would require in the coming days.

“He had a large tumor growing on his back leg along with cuts on his back legs caused from the leash being tangled around cutting off the circulation, a severe ear infection, teeth that are infected and needing extraction,” they wrote, adding that the tumor would be removed and tested for cancer shortly.

In addition, the shelter revealed that Brooks’ fur had to be completely shaved because of his “severely matted hair.”

Within seven hours, the GoFundMe campaign had already raised over $3,200 of its $6,000 goal.

Despite the terrible circumstances from this week, the shelter was optimistic for Brooks’ recovery and said after his treatments and evaluation go according to plan, the pup would be available for adoption “in approximately two weeks” by the Town of Suffield Animal Shelter.

An investigation by the Suffield Police Department into the abuse and neglect Brooks suffered is currently ongoing, according to Suffield Animal Control.

Representatives at Suffield Police Department did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Anyone with information about Brooks or his previous owners is being asked to contact Animal Control Officer Ryan Selig, badge #513, at 860-668-3870 or [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article