Mum says Stick Slug toy ‘burned baby’s head and melted the tablecloth’

A worried mum has warned of the dangers of a popular children's toy after she claims it left her baby with marks on her forehead – before melting a tablecloth.

Kelly, from Plymouth, said her six-month-old daughter Grace had a burn-like mark after 'Sticky Slug' landed on her head.

The toy, which are meant to be thrown around by youngsters for fun, also left a mark on tablecloth at their home.

She told Plymouth Live : "My eldest was playing with the toy as kids do, and she flung it around and it landed on my youngest child Grace, who at the time was six and a half months old.

"It was quite late so I put her to bed, and when she woke up the next morning I noticed she had a red mark where the slug had landed, almost like a burn.


  • Woman in hospital after allergic reaction given meals that set it off again – twice

  • B&M selling a yard of Jägermeister with 10 mini bottles for less than £10

"I'd put the slug on my table cloth overnight and went to look and it had also melted quite an obvious and visible mark into my table."

She took baby Grace to the doctors who told her to keep monitoring in case her condition worsened.

She complained to the Garden Centre where she bought the £2 toy around a month ago and was told to contact Scotland-based manufacturer Keycraft.

Kelly said: "I received a call from Keycraft, who offered me £20 to replace my tablecloth, but refused to acknowledge what had happened to Grace's face, so obviously I wasn't happy with it."


  • Question Time host Fiona Bruce cuts off hecklers and says 'I'm in charge'

She received a second offer of £100 but Kelly didn't want the money and wanted them to take responsibility that 'the toy burned my child'.

"It should not be being sold. If a so-called children's toy can mark my baby and melt my tablecloth, something clearly isn't right," she added.

Toy manufacturer Keycraft asked Kelly to send the toy back but she had already thrown it away.

A Keycraft spokesman said: "We were concerned to learn of a possible safety incident with our Sticky Slug toy which we and our supplier have sold for several years without any similar issues being reported.

"On being alerted to the alleged incident we contacted the parent to give support and to request that they consult their GP to examine the child’s skin and identify any possible allergic reaction to the materials used in the toy.

"We also asked for the toy to be returned to us so we could investigate it thoroughly. The parent was unable to respond positively to either of these requests, which limits our ability to address the issue as effectively as we would hope to.

"We have attempted to offer support as best we can despite these limitations, and will continue to do so.

"Sticky Slug is not suitable for children under 36 months and the packaging is clearly labelled with warnings to inform parents of this.

"The parent initially stated that a two-year-old child had been playing with the toy when it allegedly came in to contact with the baby.

"After we pointed out the age grade of the toy, the older child’s age was said to be four years."

Source: Read Full Article