Mum’s terrifying experiment shows dangers of kids swallowing a button battery

A mum has given a stark warning to parents about the dangers of children swallowing a button battery by revealing how damaging it can be.

Nikki Jurcutz, who works as a paramedic, regular shares baby first aid informations on her Instagram and gives advice to new mums on taking care of their newborns.

In a video posted earlier this month, the Australian mum said she was asked by some of her followers if honey would work to treat a child who swallowed a button battery.

The flat, disc-shaped lithium battery can be found in remote controls, flameless candles, bathroom scales and other household devices like light-up trainers, watches and calculators.

To show if the remedy works, Nikki uses two sausages as testing objects and places a lithium battery into each.

"I put 10ml of honey into one of the sausages and top it up every 10 minutes while I left the other one alone," she explains.

Within two hours, the batteries react and start bubbling inside the sausages – the one without the honey is seen spewing liquid onto the plate but the other one is left almost untouched.

  • Tattoo model cruelly branded 'ugly scum' after covering 98% of body in ink

When Nikki removes the batteries, she says: "With the first one that I applied the honey to, you can see that it has a small amount of damage, but look at this one that had no honey, the damage is significantly worse.

"If I ever suspect my kids have swallowed a button battery, I'll definitely be reaching for the honey."

The Child Accident Prevention Trust has previously revealed the dangers of children swallowing button batteries.

It stated: "If a lithium coin cell battery gets stuck in the food pipe, energy from the battery reacts with saliva to create caustic soda. This is the same chemical used to unblock drains!

"This can burn through the food pipe, to the main artery and lead to catastrophic internal bleeding and death. The chemical reaction can happen in as little as two hours. However, sometimes it takes days or even weeks.

"Lithium coin cell batteries can also cause life-changing injuries.

"There is a risk that the food pipe is too badly damaged for a child to eat normally again or the vocal cords are too badly damaged for a child to speak normally again."

For more Lifestlye stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Source: Read Full Article