Thousands of people with health conditions including asthma could be missing out on £156 a week – are you eligible?

THOUSANDS of people who suffer from common health conditions could be missing out on an extra £156 a week.

Anyone suffering with asthma, sleep apnea, pneumonia and more, could be eligible for the payout from the government.

If you have a condition such as severe asthma it counts as a disability. And if it’s making your daily life difficult, you may be eligible for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

That means the common problem mean you're eligible to receive financial support from the DWP.

It's the same for those with Cystic Fibrosis, chronic bronchitis and other respiratory issues. And if the problems are a hindrance on your day to day life, you could be eligible for the cash.

Personal Independence, or PIP for short, is a benefit for those who struggle with any health condition or disability.


Four money changes hitting in May including Universal Credit – are you affected?

All the people on benefits who will get less cash after Universal Credit move

The payment can boost your income by thousands of pounds a year, and you can be eligible whether you are in work or not.

There are two elements to PIP: a daily living part if you need help with everyday tasks, and a mobility part if you need help with getting around.

There are two rates for each part – standard or enhanced – depending on the level of your needs.

The weekly rates are:

  • Standard daily living component: £61.85
  • Enhanced daily living component: £92.40
  • Standard mobility component: £64.50
  • Enhanced mobility component: £24.45

Most read in Money


Tiny garage goes on sale for £1.2m – but there's a secret reason why


The areas where the £150 Council Tax rebate is hitting bank accounts this week


Moment I won £10k every month for 30 years – here's how I'm spending it


Martin Lewis urges workers to check tax code after first pay day of new tax year

That means could could receive up to £156.90 if you get the higher weekly rate for both parts.

But recent figures from the DWP show that while there's been an increase in the number of people now receiving support for the 24 types of respiratory condition, thousands more could still be missing out.

These include:

  • Sleep apnoea – obstructive
  • Upper respiratory tract – Other diseases of / type not known
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • Chronic bronchitis
  • Emphysema
  • Bronchiectasis
  • Cystic Fibrosis
  • Asthma
  • Pulmonary fibrosis
  • Extrinsic allergic alveolitis
  • Fibrosing alveolitis
  • Pulmonary fibrosis – Other / type not known
  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Asbestosis
  • Pneumoconiosis
  • Silicosis
  • Granulomatous lung disease and pulmonary infiltration
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Empyema
  • Pleura
  • Pleural effusion
  • Pneumothorax
  • Lung transplantation
  • Heart and lung transplantation
  • Pulmonary embolus
  • Pneumonia

As many as 2.9million Brits are claiming the support, according to the latest from the DWP.

And around 35% of claimants received the highest level of award.

Who can get PIP and how do I apply?

PIP is for those aged 16 or over who have not reached state pension age.

You must have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply.

The process is different in Northern Ireland, and there are additional rules if you live abroad or if you’re not a British citizen.

Crucially, you must also have a health condition or disability where you either have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months, and you expect these difficulties to continue for at least nine months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than six months to live).

Difficulties with daily living can include the following:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing
  • bathing and using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

Also be aware that you cannot get PIP and armed forces independence payment at the same time.

You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222.

There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone. See for more information.

When you claim, you'll need the following information:

  • your contact details
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • bank or building society account number and sort code
  • your doctor or health worker’s name
  • address and telephone number,
  • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call.

You'll then be sent a form to fill in, after which you'll be invited for an assessment or your health or social care worker will be asked for information.

After this you'll be sent a letter telling you if your claim has been successful.

Read More on The Sun

Mel B beams as she curtsies to William while receiving MBE in front of proud mum

Nick Hewer takes swipe at former Countdown co-star after Anne Robinson quits

You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

If you apply for PIP and are unsuccessful you can appeal a decision.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article