Urgent warning issued as dog ‘poisoned’ by common household plant

An urgent warning has been given by a dog owner after she shared the shocking details of her poisoned pet. Posting on Facebook, she described the terrifying details of the death of her dog by a common household plant.

READ MORE

  • Urgent warning as dogs ‘poisoned’ by a common household item

Kate Wagner posted on Facebook to share the heartbreaking story of her French bulldog, Lily.

The dog owner explained she bought a new household plant not knowing it was poisonous to animals.

She explained Lily suffered a short illness after eating the greenery and sadly passed away.

By sharing her story, Kate wanted to warn other animal owners about the dangers of the plant.

As well as explaining what happened, shed shared heartbreaking pictures of Lily during the illness.

The post said: “This past week has been an extremely difficult journey for us.

“Our sweet baby Lily got into one of my houseplants and ended up fighting for her life at the emergency vet for nearly a week.”

Kate explained she bought the Sago Palm plant since last summer in a popular retail store.

She continued: “I’d like to spread the word about this houseplant because I had no idea when I purchased it from a big box garden centre last summer that this little 6-inch plant would become my nightmare.

“The Sago Palm is a common house plant and landscaping plant native to tropical regions.”

The dog lover suggested the plant is dangerous to all animals and homeowners should be careful.

Consuming the plant can be toxic to dogs, cats and horses, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).

READ MORE

  • Puppy warning: Search for dogs increased by 122%

The ASPCA explained it could cause vomiting, increased thirst, bruising and even death to animals.

Owners who think their pet has consumed the plant are advised to get in touch with a vet as soon as possible.

After spending time with an emergency vet, Kate shared the devastating news that Lily had passed away.

On Facebook, she warned the plant is available to buy in many popular retailers.

She urged homeowners to be careful and research plants when making a purchase in the future.

“If you are a houseplant lover, please research your house plants prior to purchasing,” Kate warned.

“Even if you think the house plant is in a secure location, mischievous little paws may still get into trouble.”

Source: Read Full Article