‘Amazing’ boy, 3, died after being given massive medicine overdose at hospital

A three-year-old described "the most amazing little boy" by his heartbroken parents died after being given an overdose of medication at hospital , his inquest heard.

Jake Stanley was rushed to hospital after having a seizure caused by a condition which he had suffered with for almost his entire life.

His inquest on Thursday was told doctors gave Jake seven times the intended rate and seven times the intended dose of the appropriate drug, phenytoin.

And the coroner concluded that there was a gross failure to provide, amongst other things, basic medical attention to Jake, Liverpool Echo reports.

Christopher Summer, senior coroner for Merseyside, concluded the youngster’s death was brought about by neglect.

He said there was a breakdown in communication and confusion at Whiston Hospital, in Merseyside in January 2017.

Speaking after the inquest, Jake’s grief-stricken parents Anne-Marie and Ian said: "Our son Jake was the most amazing little boy who had his whole life ahead of him.

"He was always happy and smiling. He brought so much joy and happiness into the lives of everyone who met him.

"Jake loved to sing and dance. He would take every car journey as an opportunity to get us all to sing along with the radio or one of his favourite nursery rhymes."

The couple, from St Helens, Merseyside, added: "He liked to get involved with the everyday things like tidying and helping with the dishes.

"We could not have been any more proud of the wonderful little boy that he came to be in the three short years that he was with us and it truly is saddening to know that Jake’s baby brother will never get the chance to know first-hand just how much his big brother loved him.

"There really are no words to describe how we feel now that Jake has been taken from us the way that he was."

Jake’s family hope that in the wake of his death, wider recognition of the mistakes made both in the paediatric management of Jake’s seizures and in his A&E treatment on the day of his death will prevent the deaths of any other children.

Read More

NHS headlines

  • ‘Dr Opiate’ says ‘I did my best’
  • ‘Give the NHS more doctors’
  • GPs’ breaking point warning
  • ‘Kids should get sex cancer vaccine’

The hospital is investigated the boy’s death and conceded staff did not follow its "medicine administration protocols".

A spokesman for St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said: "The trust offers its sincere condolences to Jake’s family for their tragic loss.

"When Jake arrived at the hospital by ambulance, he was extremely poorly and required intensive support.

"Following his death, an immediate and thorough investigation was carried out The trust concluded that medicine administration protocols in place were not followed by the staff involved and referred the case to the coroner.

"Appropriate employment procedures are still ongoing."

Source: Read Full Article