Bill Gates resigned suddenly from Microsoft in 2020 after female staffer wrote letter claiming they had an affair in 2000 which board ‘deemed inappropriate’ amid MeToo furor
- Bill Gates is alleged to have had an affair with a female Microsoft employee in 2000
- The employee, a Microsoft engineer, wrote to the company board last in 2019
- Gates resigned suddenly from the Microsoft board in 2020 after the company initiated an independent investigation by a law firm
- A spokeswoman for Gates said his decision to leave the board had nothing to do with the affair
- The Gates, one of the world’s richest couples with a fortune of $130billion, announced this month they were getting divorced
Microsoft founder Bill Gates had an affair with a female staff member in 2000, and resigned while an investigation into the relationship was being investigated by the company board.
Gates, 64, quit the board suddenly in 2020 – months after the woman, a Microsoft engineer, wrote to the board detailing the relationship.
The Microsoft board decided that Gates should step down from the board after the relationship was deemed to be inappropriate, the Wall Street Journal reported.
A Microsoft spokesman told the Wall Street Journal: ‘Microsoft received a concern in the latter half of 2019 that Bill Gates sought to initiate an intimate relationship with a company employee in the year 2000.
‘A committee of the Board reviewed the concern, aided by an outside law firm to conduct a thorough investigation. Throughout the investigation, Microsoft provided extensive support to the employee who raised the concern.’
A spokeswoman for Gates said his decision to leave the board had nothing to do with the affair.
‘There was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably.’
The spokeswoman told the Journal his ‘decision to transition off the board was in no way related to this matter. In fact, he had expressed an interest in spending more time on his philanthropy starting several years earlier.’
Bill and Melinda Gates, one of the world’s richest couples with a fortune of $130billion, announced this month they were getting divorced, with Melinda saying the marriage is ‘irretrievably broken’ in divorce filings.
Bill Gates, pictured in 1985, had an affair with a Microsoft engineer in 2000 which came to light when the woman wrote to the company board in 2019
Source: Read Full Article