Bloody care home fight sees crazed OAP bite 85-year-old’s finger ‘to the bone’

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    An 85-year-old elderly man fell victim to a brutal assault by a fellow care home resident which lasted almost an hour.

    James Hand, 85, was taken to hospital with several gruesome injuries following the assault which took place on September 28 at Meadows Court care home, in Aylestone.

    Melanie Dolman, partner of Mr Hands' son, told LeicestershireLive his fingers were nearly bitten to the bone and was "lucky to be alive".

    READ MORE: French hunter apologises after shooting Brit dead he thought was a boar

    She said: “We were in total shock. He smashed his radio over his head, he ripped the call bell out the wall, the pressure pads which should have sent an alarm out weren’t working.

    "He hit him with his zimmer frame, smashed him with a TV remote controller.

    “How he didn’t kill him I have no idea – the radio was very heavy and weighty and he had that bashed over his head multiple times.

    "He was bitten on his head, which meant he required stitches, he bit his fingers right down to his bone and may need plastic surgery or skin grafts on his hands."

    The man who attacked Mr Hand was 77 years old and according to assessments carried out before the assault he did not have any behavioural issues noted.

    The man was said to not be fit enough to be charged with a criminal offence, despite being arrested by police.

    Ms Dolman questioned why staff didn't intervene sooner, adding: “I told the manager if you knew he was in there for 50 minutes, why didn’t you go to him?

    "Supposedly at around five past seven, the cameras showed him walking in and then around 53 minutes later the feed showed the carers running in.

    “Why weren’t they checked on by staff? He was brutally attacked in his own bed for 50 minutes and nothing was done until they later heard the commotion. He could have died.”

    Meadows Court has said the alarm call bell in Mr Hands' room was deliberately broken in the attack and admitted staff did not hear a sound coming from the room until 50 minutes of the attack.

    Leicester City Council and the Care Quality Commission both launched investigations into the incident.

    Mr Hand has now moved into a new care home closer to his family since recovering from his injuries and is now in "good spirits".

    Ms Dolman added: “Luckily he is now over at a home close to where we live and he’s looking lovely and has recovered well.

    “It is a sad story what happened, but has a happy ending and he’s now a different man.

    "He’s getting up, building up his strength slowly and starting to become himself more. He’s smiling, laughing, it’s brilliant to see that as we haven’t seen that for years.”

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


    • Vile and 'calculating' peado found in hotel room with two missing girls

    • Paedo delivery driver caught after trying to meet girl, 13, for sex in McDonald's

    • Axe-murderer who hacked ex-girlfriend to death pleads guilty half-way through trial

    • Family
    • Hospital
    • Police
    • Injuries

    Source: Read Full Article