Boy, 17, dies after plunging down 300ft cliff in Wales

A teenage holidaymaker died after plunging down a 300ft cliff at a notorious beauty spot.

The boy, 17, was on a trip to the Great Orme beauty spot in Llandudno, North Wales, when he fell down the sheer cliff face.

Police say the teen, from Stockport, Greater Manchester, was pronounced dead at the scene despite rescue efforts by air rescue helicopter and coastguards.

Investigations are being carried out to establish the cause of the tragedy – the second fatal fall from the cliffs this year.

A spokeswoman for North Wales Police said: “Police are working with the Coroner to establish the circumstances surrounding the tragic death of a 17-year-old male from the Stockport area.

“Officers were called by the ambulance service shortly after 2pm yesterday afternoon, Sunday August 26, to Marine Drive in Llandudno, where a male was reported to have fallen from the cliffs on the Great Orme.

"He was sadly confirmed dead at the scene.”

The Coastguard were also called to the headland at around 1.48pm yesterday by the Welsh Ambulance Service .

A spokesman for Llandudno Coastguard said: “Arriving on scene it was clear our rope rescue skills would not be required, however, we needed to assist with casualty care.

“The team assisted the ambulance paramedic and air ambulance crews with casualty care but despite our best efforts we were unable to resuscitate him and he was pronounced deceased at the scene.

“Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this extremely difficult time.”

The boy is the second person to lose their life after falling from the headland this year.

In May, Lukasz Lesniackiego, 30, from Poland, a dad to a three-month-old boy, died after falling from the hill top.

He was angling just off Pigeon’s Cove on the Great Orme when he fell from the headland into the sea .

Mr Lesniackiego, who lived in Birmingham and worked for UK-Lures fishing specialist, is said to have been visiting Llandudno with a friend at the time.

Source: Read Full Article