Brits who survived Turkey trip tragedy that left pal dead weren't poisoned by teeth whitening medication, says hospital

TWO men who were left comatose and their pal mysteriously dead after undergoing dental work in Turkey were NOT poisoned by the treatment, medics say.

Richard Molloy, 33, died on Saturday after travelling to Marmaris, and friends Declan Carson and Aaron Callaghan in comas – but their conditions have since improved.

Police were attempting to trace the dentist where the trio – described as "three fit and healthy young lads"- are understood to have undergone a tooth whitening procedure.

Local sources reported the trio had collapsed in their rented holiday apartment after taking a drug they were given prior to the whitening work.

They were also allegedly warned not to drink alcohol after taking the meds, but attended a boozy party that night, it's claimed.

But Mirror Online reports a spokesperson from the hospital that treated the pair have ruled out teeth whitening as the cause of the mysterious illness.

The spokesperson also confirmed Mr Callaghan and Mr Carson were released from the Adnan Menderes University Training and Research Hospital at the beginning of this week.

And investigators also refused to rule out other possible causes, including illegal drugs, reports Sozcu.

Richard's family are said to be "devastated" by his death and have flown to Turkey, with North Belfast MP John Finucane saying all families involved are "desperately wanting to bring their children back".

Just three days before the tragedy, Aaron had shared a picture of the pals basking in the the sun by the sea.

"How's your Friday," he wrote.

Mr Molloy and his friends were all from Ardoyne, North Belfast.

Aaron's parents, Karen and Mark Callaghan reported over the weekend their son was "getting better".

Both the British and Irish governments are in contact with Turkish counterparts because it is understood that two to the men travelled on Irish passports.

Mr Molloy's sister, Lydia, had travelled to Turkey in the hopes of bringing his body home, provided no further coronavirus restrictions are introduced on travel to Turkey.

Colin Bell of the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust is helping the Molloy family to bring Richie's remains back home.

He said: "I have been in contact with Mr Molloy's sister, Lydia, who was due to meet with the undertaker later today.

"She seems very strong and has travelled out there to do a job.

"The repatriation will take about four or five days as Richie's body will have to be released to the undertaker, hopefully later today or tomorrow.

"Preparations will then have to be made to fly him home and all the various papers signed too."

Source: Read Full Article