Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza dismissed accusations that he sought to “cover up” coronavirus cases — claiming Friday they were without merit because they were made to The Post.
Rather than address the issue on NPR’s “Morning Edition,” he suggested that the on-the-record comments made by a union chapter leader were to be ignored.
“Number one, it’s The Post,” he said, referring to United Federation of Teachers chapter leader Nate Bonheimer’s concerns.
Bonheimer said five Brooklyn Tech teachers called him to report that they had tested positive for coronavirus earlier this month when schools were still open.
Rather than shutter the 6,000-student campus, the DOE instead kept the doors open after noting that the building had been cleaned.
“They did not alert the people who needed to know the most to protect themselves, their families and everyone else they came into contact with,” Bonheimer said.
Carranza said Bonheimer and his colleagues did not have the standing to assess his performance because they are unable to appreciate the demands of his position.
“Number two, people that make those claims don’t have the responsibility, or the weight of responsibility, of making these kinds of decisions,” Carranza sniffed.
Meanwhile, Carranza suggested that schools were unlikely to reopen this year.
“As things are exploding across the state right now, it’s looking more and more likely that we will finish the school year with learning at home,” he said.
Source: Read Full Article