Flambéed pizza kills two in restaurant blaze that ‘completely trapped’ diners

A flambéed pizza left two diners dead and 12 more injured during a horrific restaurant blaze that left people "completely trapped" inside.

Burro, a restaurant and bar in Madrid, Spain, was said to have been set alight when staff served a flaming pizza to a diner, with the flames engulfing decorations.

Those decorations were the start of a fiery chain of events that left two dead and other restaurant-goers trapped inside, with the spirit-doused pizza erupting into flames.

READ MORE: Russian sailors found dead aboard ship that burst into flames near South Korea

Attending fire services noted the restaurant had "just one exit" and that the fire began close to the door, leaving people fleeing to the back of the restaurant.

A statement from Madrid fire department night supervisor Carlos Marin confirmed the restaurant "had just one exit, and since the fire was very close to the door, people went back to the rear of the restaurant, and they were completely trapped."

The Mayor has since commented on the blaze which left two dead and 12 injured, six of which were hospitalised, CNN reported.

Mayor Jose Luis Martinez Almeida said: "It appears the fire started when a flambéed pizza was being served, which set fire to the decorations in the restaurant.

"Firefighters told me it was a ferocious fire in the way it started and the smoke it generated, and if the fire station wasn’t just 100 meters (around 330 feet) away, the number of fatalities could have been higher."

  • Teacher 'seduced teen student over for romps' at her home while husband was away

The fire is believed to have been quickly extinguished by attending emergency services.

Those same emergency services took six people to hospital, with updates on their condition not yet made available.

Two people are confirmed to have died during the fire at the restaurant, located on the Plaza de Manuel Becerra.

Montse Marcos, a supervisor with the Madrid ambulance services, has since confirmed there were two fatalities due to the fire, which was started by the pizza doused in spirits.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


  • Teacher 'seduced teen student over for romps' at her home while husband was away
  • Prince Harry in for 'nightmare' Coronation without Meghan as he 'leans on her heavily'
  • Bloke obsessed with world's worst inventions adds 'miserably bad' car to collection
  • Man urinating on train tracks is struck and killed by flying cow hit by train
  • Robots and artificial intelligence tipped to become judges and lawyers one day

Source: Read Full Article