'Free spirit' student, 21, found dead in hotel bathroom after drinking two bottles of Prosecco and taking cocaine

A "FREE SPIRIT" student was found dead in a hotel bathroom after drinking two bottles of Prosecco and taking cocaine, an inquest heard.

Amber Lyssis, 21, was heard playing loud music by her neighbours after checking in at Stay City Apartments in Manchester.

It was only the next day when she failed to check out that staff became concerned and alerted police.

Officers arrived to find the room locked and discovered Amber dead in the bath with the shower still running.

Police also found two empty bottles of Prosecco and remnants of white powder on a glass table, including an empty "baggy" and a full one.

Two cans of squirty cream, which can be used to extract "laughing gas" nitrous oxide, were found nearby.


An inquest heard Amber had high levels of cocaine and alcohol in her system, but not enough to be classed as an overdose.

In a statement Amber’s mother, Lucky Rutland, paid tribute to her "studious", loving daughter, who had moved from London to Didsbury in Manchester for her studies.

''Amber was a girl who loved life," she said.

"She had a free spirit and she was excited about her future – she couldn’t wait.

“She was well in herself, she was fine. She was with her friends we had people looking out for her so we had no concerns."

Amber was a girl who loved life. She had a free spirit and she was excited about her future – she couldn’t wait

Amber did take illicit drugs, she said, but only "here and there", she said. She believes her "very studious" daughter may have taken up drinking and partying after returning to Manchester University in September 2017.

The pair talked for an hour and 40 minutes a few days before her death on Feburary 23 last year, when Amber spoke enthusiastically about her anthropology coursework.


“The last conversation we had she was saying how excited she was about life and her future," said Ms Rutland.

"She was in a really good place. She was never depressed, she was a happy human being. She was looking forward to the future."

Ms Rutland said the family had a history of heart problems but Amber was the "healthiest she could be".

Following a post mortem report, her cause of death was confirmed to be 1A acute cardiac event caused by an unknown cause with submersion in water.

Amber had moved from London to Manchester and was living in Didsbury at the time of her death.


Coroner’s Officer Ian Taylor said evidence on Amber's mobile phone showed she had previously bought drugs over the few months and just three days before had made an attempt to purchase drugs.

Pathologist Dr Samer Al-Habba said the levels of drugs used were far below the usual overdose amount.

But she said chronic use could lead to cardiac arrest, psychosis and mood swings

"I find this was a sudden death," Dr Al-Habba told the hearing in Manchester.

It’s difficult to know what happened

“Whether she had a sudden cardiac arrest in the shower and knelt down and submerged in water, we’ll never know.

"It’s difficult to know what happened. Bottles of squirty cream were also found, and users often use this to extract nitrous oxide, the ‘laughing gas’ drug.

"I believe the cocaine may have led to the sudden arrythmia. She was an acute user of cocaine. Cocaine use can also lead to the constriction of coronary arteries.”

Police concluded there were no suspicious circumstances and no third party involvement.

Recording an open conclusion, Coroner Fiona Borrill said: “This was an absolute tragedy. I’m considering probability rather then possibility.

"This was a sudden and very tragic death and I offer my condolences and sincere sympathies to you in these awful circumstances.”

Source: Read Full Article