THE gender reveal party "inventor" has begged people to "stop having these stupid parties" after the stunt sparked a California wildfire.
Jenna Karvunidis posted a warning to Facebook on Monday to those who take inspiration from her.
She wrote: "Stop it. Stop having these stupid parties. For the love of God, stop burning things down to tell everyone about your kid's penis. No one cares but you.
"It was 116 degrees in Pasadena yesterday and this tool thought it would be smart to light a fire about his kid's dick. Toxic masculinity is men thinking they need to explode something because simply enjoying a baby party is for sissies."
She also claimed that she has been receiving hate messages as she started the trend in 2008 with a gender reveal cake.
Fire chiefs said the devastating blaze which torched more than 7,000-acres of land in California was triggered by a "smoke-generating pyrotechnic device."
The device was used to release blue or pink smoke to announce the gender of an expected baby in El Dorado Ranch Park, near Yucaipa.
It comes as 15,000 firefighters battle more than two dozen wildfires across California following a record-breaking 49.C heatwave.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said: "Cal Fire Law Enforcement has determined the El Dorado Fire, burning near Oak Glen in San Bernardino County, was caused by a smoke generating pyrotechnic device, used during a gender reveal party.
"The fire began at 10.23am on September 5, 2020 in the El Dorado Ranch Park in Yucaipa.
"The fire spread from the park to the north on to Yucaipa Ridge that separates Mountain Home Village and Forest Falls from the City of Yucaipa."
The authority emphasized that in the dry conditions "it doesn’t take much to start a wildfire" and that “those responsible for starting fires due to negligence or illegal activity can be held financially and criminally responsible.”
Smoke generating pyrotechnic devices are often used to release blue or pink smoke to announce the gender of an expected baby.
Bennet Milloy, a spokesman for the department, told DailyMail.com that the people hosting the party were still on the scene when the firefighters arrived.
"We know how it started because they were still there," he said.
"That, and the fact that there were surveillance cameras in the park."
Milloy said that it was a relatively small family gathering, and that the relatives had gathered for a photo opportunity.
He added that the family could be held responsible for the entire cost of putting out the fire – which he claims amounts to millions of dollars.
It’s unclear if anyone will be charged over the incident.
Source: Read Full Article