A young girl has been pictured ‘bandaged head-to-toe’ in hospital after burning 49% of her body had been taking part in a disturbing YouTube craze, it’s emerged.
Timiyah Landers, 12, was taking part in the ‘Fire Challenge’ with two friends, which encourages kids to cover themselves in flammable liquid and set themselves alight – after seeing it on social media.
The trio were at Timiyah’s house in Detroit last Friday and are understood to have picked up on the craze from watching social media.
The saga is said to have begun when mum Brandi Owens made them pancakes and went to have a nap.
Within minutes of leaving them alone, she heard a small explosion.
"Timiyah came running up my hallway on fire from her knees to her hair," Brandi told Fox 2 Detriot. "Everything is burnt on her, everything".
Brandi’s fiance put Timiyah in the bath and tried to shower her down with water.
But according to a horrified Brandi, the flames kept "rising and rising".
Timiyah was rushed to hospital.
Her burns were so severe, doctors had to put her in a head-to-toe cast.
Timiyah’s two friends then admitted they had been trying out the ‘Fire Challenge"
She remains in intensive care and on a ventilator and faces months of treatment.
A tearful Brandi said it’s been horrendous watching her daughter so ill in hospital, adding: "I can’t help my baby. I can’t help her."
It is thought Timiyah used a body spray to start a flame.
The Fire Challenge first started in 2012 after YouTuber 1BlazinEagle1 uploaded a video of him lighting his chest hair on fire. By 2014 it had gained over 100,000 views and began inspiring others to try it.
Participants aim to set themselves on fire for a short period by applying rubbing alcohol or flammable liquids or sprays to their bodies, setting it alight and filming the outcome.
Writing on a GoFundMe Page Brandi said: "On Friday August the 17,2018 Timiyah become engulfed in flames due to children mimicking the fire challenge which was seen on youtube it has shocked and shaken our entire family to the core.
Top Stories from Mirror Online
"Children often do not realize that life is a precious gift and that they cannot copy things that they see on the internet.
"I hope no other family has to go through this as a parent you always want to protect your child and never want your child to feel pain.
"Timiyah has 4 other siblings and they want their sister to get better and come home.
"The medical staff is telling me that my baby will be hospitalized for a few months she has a very long road to recovery and has at least 3 more surgeries ahead."
Brandi is now calling for YouTube to remove all ‘Fire Challenge’ videos so this doesn’t happen again.
On GoFundMe she wrote: "I also want to encourage you to talk to all children in your family about these challenges that are on social media continue to pray for Timiyah and our family during this difficult time."
Source: Read Full Article