Horrifying moment hoverboard bursts into flames and starts house fire

Horrifying moment hoverboard bursts into flames while charging and starts house fire that puts mother, 54, in a coma

  • Jacqueline Barrett, 54, has been put in an induced coma after horrific house fire
  • The shocking footage captured moment hoverboard on charge burst into flames
  • Ms Barrett was rescued by fire crews and is still in hospital receiving treatment
  • Son spoke out to warn others about dangers of leaving electric items on charge

This is the horrifying moment a hoverboard burst into flames after it was left on charge unattended and started a devastating house fire.

Home security video shows the moment the lithium ion battery spewed its molten contents across the downstairs living room of a Smethwick house, setting the room alight.

Homeowner Jacqueline Barrett, 54, who has multiple sclerosis and heart problems, was caught up in the blaze and remains in hospital in an induced coma.

Ms Barrett, who was in her downstairs bedroom next to the lounge when the fire took hold, had to be rescued from the property by West Midlands firefighters.

The video has been shared with the approval of Ms Barrett’s son who is now warning other families to take extra care when charging any electrical devices.

How it started: Fire began when hoverboard’s batteries spewed molten contents over carpet

This is the shocking moment a hoverboard left on charge burst into flames and started a devastating fire at the home of Jacqueline Barrett who was left seriously injured by the blaze

The footage (pictured) has been shared by Ms Barrett’s son in the hope people will take care with electrical items when they leave them on charge and not leave them unattended

Shane Johnson, 34, said: ‘It’s awful. My mum’s really ill in hospital. The fire and smoke damage to the house is just unbelievable.

‘Mum called me moments after it happened, to say there’d been some sort of explosion.

‘The first thing I did was call the fire service, then got in the car to get to her as quickly as possible.

‘I called my dad and some friends. Some got there before me, and dad had tried to kick the door in to get to mum, but the heat from the fire was just too much.

Crews from West Midlands Fire Service responded to the incident just after 5pm on Saturday 

Police closed the road while multiple fire crews battled the blaze in Smethwick on Saturday

Safety tips for charging electrical devices 

  • Never leave items charging under pillows, on/in a bed or on soft furnishings
  • Don’t overcharge items. Once they’re charged, unplug them
  • Always use branded, genuine plugs and cables recommended for the specific device
  • If cables become broken, frayed or damaged, stop using and replace them 
  • Check that the output voltage and current ratings marked on the charger and your electrical device are the same 
  • Always buy goods from reputable retailers and check they meet British safety standards 

‘If anyone needs a warning about leaving things unattended when they’re charging, or plugged in when they’re fully charged, this is it. It could happen to anyone.’

Crews from West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) responded to the incident just after 5pm on Saturday, November 13.

Five fire engines and a Brigade Response Vehicle, crewed by a total of nearly 30 firefighters, tackled the fire.

The first crew arrived within five minutes of being mobilised and were met with a severe fire in the semi-detached property.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly located and brought Jacqueline out of her downstairs bedroom, and she was taken to hospital by ambulance.

A WMFS fire investigator has confirmed that the fire started accidentally, as a hoverboard was being charged in the house.

The crew has shared safety tips for families who own electrical items that require charging. 

Pete Wilson, WMFS’s Strategic Lead for Prevention, said: ‘This incident is horrific. Our thoughts are with Jacqueline, her family and friends at such a difficult time.

‘We are extremely grateful to Shane for allowing us to share the home security video. 

Pictured: the burnt remains of the hoverboard which started the fire in Smethwick on Saturday

Pictured: scene where the fire took place on Saturday night at Ms Barrett’s Smethwick home

‘It should send a clear warning to people to take utmost care when charging electrical items.

‘The warning is particularly timely in the run up to Christmas, when we know people will be buying electrical items.

‘Please – always buy goods from reputable retailers and check they meet British safety standards.’

Source: Read Full Article