Human poo found in nearly all street cannabis in Madrid

Next time you want to pick up cannabis on holiday in Spain – think again.

Smokers are getting more than they bargained for after almost all hash sold on the streets of Madrid was found to contain faecal E.coli bacteria, deemed unsuitable for consumption.

Some 40 per cent of the samples even smelled of poo, revealed a study by Madrid’s University Alfonso X el Sabio y la Complutense.


He said: ‘These patients have a weakened immune system, so an infection caused by the consumption of contaminated or adulterated hashish could be fatal.’

The risks of E.coli and Aspergillus are severe enough to make the illegal street vending of hashish ‘a public health issue’, Perez told Spanish newspaper El País, following his findings.

The study, published in Forensic Science International, looked at two forms of cannabis resin, sold in ‘ingots’ (blocks) and ‘acorns’.

E.coli can cause diarrhoea, severe abdominal cramps, vomiting, fever and bloody stool.

But the most virulent strains can gastroenteritis, urinary tract infections, neonatal meningitis, hemorrhagic colitis, and Crohn’s disease.



Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

If you have a story for our news team, email us at [email protected]

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Source: Read Full Article