Hundreds across the world stage marches in supporting sick toddler Alfie Evans

Hundreds of supporters of Alfie Evans staged demonstrations in London, Ireland and America today.

The protests come after Alfie’s parents Kate James and Tom Evans failed in a last-ditch attempt to persuade Alder Hey hospital and judges to let their seriously ill son on fly to Italy for treatment.

Protests for the stricken toddler have been seen in Washington DC and Belfast this afternoon after previous backing from Poland and Vatican and Italy.

However, the live stream of London’s march between Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament was abandoned part way through after Alfie’s dad issued a statement calling on ‘Alfie’s Army to ‘stand down.’

Latest: Alfie Evans’ father calls on supporters to ‘stand down’ and says plan will be agreed to provide son with ‘dignity and comfort’

In his ‘final’ statement outside Liverpool’s Alder Hey hospital he praised staff for ‘dignity and professionalism,’ after he spent this afternoon in talks with the hospital.

The London march was set to end near College Green in Westminster where MEP Steven Woolfe launched ‘Alfie’s Law’ aimed at giving parents of terminally-ill children more say in end-of-life hospital care for their sons and daughters.

Members of ‘Alfie’s Blue Prayer’ were seen in footage marching through the city waving banners and flags supporting Alfie and his family.

In Belfast supporters of the desperately sick toddler also held placards protesting against Alder Hey and the courts which ruled against Alfie’s parents taking him abroad for further treatment.

Lawyers representing dad Mr Evans and Miss James argued that Alfie should be allowed to be taken to Rome, stating that he had been granted Italian citizenship, a military air ambulance was on standby and he needed "intervention".

Their appeals, however, were dismissed by Lord Justice McFarlane who stated that there was no reason to find the previous judgement incorrect.

Support also spread across the America, where today dozens of people gathered outside the city’s UK Embassy waving placards saying ‘Great Britain – Let your people go’ and ‘Make Britain Christian again.’

Earlier today Mr Evans said he hoped to have a "positive" meeting to discuss his son’s care with medics in Liverpool after they previously failed in an 11th-hour attempt to take the 23-month-old to a foreign hospital for treatment.

BREAKING: Alfie Evans’ father calls on ‘Alfie’s Army to ‘stand down’ and praises Alder Hey staff for ‘dignity and professionalism’

He said there had been no deterioration in Alfie’s condition since he was taken off a ventilator and he was not in pain.

He accused doctors of misdiagnosing his son and also vowed to return to court if the meeting did not go well.

But he later told reporters that in his son’s interests the couple would now work together with his treatment team and praised Alder Hey staff for their "professionalism".

In a statement, he said: "Our lives have been turned upside down by the intense focus on Alfie and his situation.

"Our little family along with Alder Hey has become the centre of attention for many people around the world and it has meant we have not been able to live our lives as we would like.

"We are very grateful and we appreciate all the support we have received from around the world, including from our Italian and Polish supporters, who have dedicated their time and support to our incredible fight.

"We would now ask you to return back to your everyday lives and allow myself, Kate and Alder Hey to form a relationship, build a bridge and walk across it.

"We also wish to thank Alder Hey staff at every level for their dignity and professionalism during what must be an incredibly difficult time for them too.

"Together we recognise the strains (that) recent events have put upon us all and we now wish for privacy for everyone concerned.

"In Alfie’s interests we will work with his treating team on a plan that provides our boy with the dignity and comfort he needs."

Mr Evans added that no more statements or interviews would be given by him on the subject.

Police remained outside the hospital on Thursday after Alder Hey said its staff had experienced "unprecedented personal abuse".

Alfie has been at the centre of a life-or-death treatment battle, with his parents trying to block doctors from withdrawing life support in a sometimes acrimonious six-month dispute which has seen a series of court battles.

Judges have heard that Alfie, born on May 9 2016, is in a "semi-vegetative state" and has a degenerative neurological condition that doctors had not definitively diagnosed.

Specialists say his brain has been "eroded".

Source: Read Full Article