IRS reveals list of ways to get unclaimed stimulus checks – how to make sure you get your cash

THE IRS has revealed a list of ways to get unclaimed stimulus checks — here's how to make sure you get your cash.

If you're a lower-income taxpayer, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has released a list of resources that could help you claim their unpaid stimulus money.

Some of the resources can be found in Publication 4134, which was shared in February 2022 as the Lower Income Taxpayer Clinic List.

The IRS explains how the free taxpayer services can contact in the four-page PDF.

"If you are a low-income taxpayer who needs help in resolving a tax dispute with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and cannot afford representation, you may qualify for free or low-cost assistance from a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC)," the PDF reads.

It adds: "This publication includes contact information for LITCs and is available online at: or by calling the IRS at: 1-800-829-3676.

"For the most current information, please see the “Find your local clinic” search tool at the bottom
of the LITC page at:

Anyone included in the lower-income taxpayers group can also get help with preparing their tax returns, according to The Ascent.

Most read in The Sun


Olly Murs rushed to hospital for emergency knee surgery as star cancels tour


Hero Ukrainian soldier 'blows himself up on bridge' to stop Russians crossing


West Ham land nightmare Europa tie against Sevilla while Rangers draw Red Star


Lorraine suffers epic blunders as two guests' interviews completely derailed

Meanwhile, millions of Americans may have unclaimed cash or property from an old bank account or previous employer — and are a number of ways to find unclaimed cash you could be owed.

According to the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA), nearly 1 in 10 Americans has unclaimed money or property.

This includes stocks, refunds, traveler's checks, annuities, trust distributions, and much more.

More than $3billion is returned by states annually, according to NAUPA.

Below, we explain the different tools and resources available to help you claim your cash.

Unclaimed Property and Cash

The most popular way to find the money you may be owed is through

The website is run by NAUPA, which is an organization committed to reuniting owners with lost or unclaimed property.

NAUPA is part of the network of the National Association of State Treasurers, so you can rest assured that it's a legitimate site.

While each state has laws around the unclaimed property, aims to make it easier to navigate by providing links to individual unclaimed property programs.

It's free to search, though you can pay for a third-party service if you wish.

However, the third-party services can be costly and often will reveal the same information as the free service.

If you need to search for unclaimed property in multiple states, you can use NAUPA's

This will search participating states' databases to help reunite you with unclaimed property.

In many cases, there is no statute of limitations on claiming what is due to you.

But the sooner you can search and file a claim, the better.

Credit Card Rewards

If you have a credit card with any major bank or airline, chances are they have a decent rewards program that may include cashback.

If you've not set up your rewards account, you may be missing out on hundreds of dollars in cashback rewards.

While every institution has its own set of rules, there is generally a points system for every dollar you earn.

You could then redeem your points for a number of prizes, including cash.

To claim your cashback, there is generally an option to link to a checking account for direct deposit or enter your mailing address to receive a paper check.

Tax Refunds

If you've filed a tax return but ever received a refund you believe you're due, you can check with the IRS.

Sometimes refunds are undeliverable if the information you provided to the IRS is not up to date.

Other times, returns are impacted by identity theft, fraud, incomplete information, or other errors.

Back Wages

If you think you're owed back wages from a previous employer, there's a website for that, too.

The US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division (WHD) has a Workers Owed Wages database where you can search by employer name.

If you do find that you're owed wages, you can submit a claim.

Retirement Funds

If you had a 401k with a previous employer but left that company, you may be entitled to those funds.

The National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits can help.

Use their website to search for unclaimed retirement funds.

This is yet another safe and free way to reunite with funds owed to you.

Just have your social security number handy to begin the claim process.

Treasury Hunt

If you received savings bonds as a child but have forgotten about them, there's a way to be reunited with that unclaimed cash.

The US Treasury Hunt offers a free search on its website that could show:

  • Matured savings bonds or Treasury notes that no longer earn interest
  • Missing payments on series H or HH savings bonds, or
  • Missing payments for securities held in Legacy Treasury Direct

To search, you'll need your social security number, so it's helpful to have that handy.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.

Like us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article