Black cab rapist John Worboys, 63, launches appeal against his two life sentences for drugging and attacking lone women in back of his taxi
- The sexual predator committed string of assaults from 2000 to 2008 in London
- Worboys, now 63 years old, was handed two life sentences in December 2019
- But his appeal is set to be heard at the Court of Appeal on Wednesday morning
Black cab rapist John Worboys has launched an appeal against his two life sentences
Black cab rapist John Worboys has launched an appeal against his two life sentences for drugging and attacking lone women in the back of his taxi.
The 63-year-old, who has changed his name to John Derek Radford, committed a string of assaults between 2000 and 2008 while working as a taxi driver in London.
He was first convicted in 2009 and was jailed indefinitely for public protection with a minimum of eight years for drugging and sexually assaulting dozens of women.
But, in 2018, the Parole Board cleared him for release claiming the sex offender was now an ‘open and honest’ person in a blunder that shocked Britain.
Days later four women, who had never contacted police because they believed Worboys would not be released, rushed to tell detectives their own horrific stories.
The sexual predator was then handed two life sentences in December 2019 – with the judge ruling that he posed an ongoing danger to women.
However, Worboys has since launched an appeal with his challenge set to be heard at the Court of Appeal on Wednesday morning.
Worboys’ black cab (pictured) was used to pick up victims who were offered cut price fares and an alcoholic drink that were usually spiked so he could abuse them
Worboys is feared to have plied more than 100 women with Champagne or wine laced with sedatives from a ‘rape kit’ kept in his cab – which included sleeping tablets, plastic gloves and condoms
Worboys is feared to have plied more than 100 women with Champagne or wine laced with sedatives from a ‘rape kit’ kept in his cab – which included sleeping tablets, plastic gloves and condoms.
He then convinced many victims to toast his success with a spiked drink after lying about winning the lottery.
Victims woke up several hours later confused about what had happened to them and often unaware that they had been attacked.
The former taxi driver, originally from Enfield, north London, was convicted of 19 charges of drugging and sexually assaulting 12 women in 2009.
He was jailed indefinitely for public protection with a minimum of eight years.
John Worboys had previously admitted to a psychologist that he had fantasised about drugging and attacking women since the mid-1980s. Pictured: In February 2018 (left) and sketched in the dock in 2019 (right)
The Parole Board controversially said Worboys could be freed from prison in 2019 before the decision was reversed following a landmark legal challenge.
It was at this time that more of Worboys’ victims came forward and he admitted fresh crimes against four women.
The predator pleaded guilty to drugging two women with intent to commit rape or indecent assault and drugging two other women with intent to commit a sexual offence.
The Old Bailey previously heard that Worboys had admitted to a psychologist that he had fantasised about drugging and attacking women for decades.
The former milkman had bragged of a 13-year career as a stripper working under the stage name Terry the Minder (promotional picture from his early stripping days)
Prosecutor Duncan Penny told the court in 2019: ‘He was fantasising about offending since 1986. The defendant is potentially as dangerous now as he was at the first sentence.’
The former milkman had bragged of a 13-year career as a stripper working under the stage name Terry the Minder.
Working six days a week, including Sunday lunchtimes, stage performances, hen nights and kissograms across London and the South East gave him access to hundreds of women.
Combined with work as a security guard and cab driver, Worboys earned thousands of pounds every week and lived like a pop star.
Publicity photographs of him taken in the 1980s and 1990s show him with a broad grin and a peroxide blond-tinted mullet haircut.
He posed for glossy shots dressed in American-style police uniforms, tuxedos, satin underwear and bright rubber-look outfits.
In 2006, under an assumed name, Worboys even recorded an amateur adult film, with one reviewer noting he was one of a ‘group of ageing guys who look and sound like extras from the cast of EastEnders’.
Worboys gave up the stage in 1999, aged 42, turning to driving a cab full-time.
Worboys challenge is due to be heard at the Court of Appeal at 10.30am on Wednesday.
John Worboys: 13-year timeline of black cab rapist’s sexual assaults
Worboys passes The Knowledge to become a taxi driver in London. He also continues working as a stripper at night.
The first allegation of sexual assault is made that would later be linked to Worboys. Several more, all involving drivers of black cabs in London, are made over the next four years.
October 14: A 25-year-old woman meets John Worboys in Fulham, West London, and wakes up after a drink to find him assaulting her
November 9: A journalist gets into his cab in Regent Street and has a drink before falling unconscious, and later waking up with no memory of what happened
April: Worboys offers a 22-year-old woman a lift from Oxford Street to Middlesex for £30, before becoming aggressive when she refused to take a drink he offered her
June 29: Worboys offers to take an office worker from Regent Street to her home in Tufnell Park. She drank champagne and accused him of forcibly kissing her
July: Worboys picks up a student in Chelsea and offers her £50 to drink a glass of vodka, but she refuses to perform a sex act for £350
July 26: Worboys forces a pill into the mouth of a teenage student who got into his taxi at Covent Garden
July 27: Worboys is arrested after CCTV shows him carrying the teenager out of the cab at 4.30am, but he is released after denying sexual conduct
December 21: Victim claims Worboys raped her while driving her home to Putney from Tottenham Court Road. His DNA is found in a semen stain on her underwear
January 3: Worboys offers to take a 29-year-old insurance broker home to Hornchurch from the City for £20. She claimed he asked her to perform a sex act before exposing himself
January 31: A 31-year-old advertising director gets into his cab outside a Soho club for Herne Hill. She drinks champagne and is assaulted
February: A new mother returns home to Twickenham and her friend tells Worboys she is on maternity leave. She has a drink and felt drowsy, and her fiance later found her slumped by the toilet at home unable to move her legs
February 13: A 30-year-old journalist takes a cab with a friend outside a Central London restaurant, but only pretends to sip a drink Worboys gives her after she noticed fizzing and foil in the glass. She claimed he asked her to perform a sex act for £5,000, but she told police after his arrest
February 15: An 18-year-old woman and her friend get into Worboys cab at Oxford Street, and he offers her a drink after her friend is dropped off . She initially refused, before losing consciousness and finding herself still in the cab when she came round
February 16: Police arrest Worboys
February 18: Worboys faces charges including one count of rape, four counts of sexual assault and six counts of administering a substance with intent, following an investigation into five attacks. Police say 30 women answered an appeal.
January 20: Worboys’s trial begins as he denies 23 charges, including rape and sexual assault. He is accused of attacking 14 women
March 13: Worboys is convicted at Croydon Crown Court of one count of rape, five sexual assaults, one attempted assault and 12 drugging charges, committed from July 2007 to February 2008
April 21: Worboys is jailed indefinitely at Croydon Crown Court and told he must serve a minimum of eight years
January 20: The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPPC – now the Independent Office for Police Conduct) publishes its inquiry into a series of blunders by Metropolitan Police officers, five of whom were disciplined. They are criticised for missing crucial chances to catch Worboys.
June 15: Judges throw out Worboys’ appeal against conviction.
October 14: Scotland Yard reveals Worboys may have attacked at least 102 women and say that 19 more victims have come forward since his conviction.
July 23: Two women who were seriously sexually assaulted by Worboys are awarded compensation totalling £41,250 from the Metropolitan Police. The force appeals the decision, finally losing the challenge in the Supreme Court in February 2018.
November: John Worboys is granted release from prison by the Parole Board after just eight years behind bars
January 4: The decision by the Parole Board is made public. Worboys’ victims were not told about the decision before it was announced
January 5: Professor Nick Hardwick, the Chairman of the Parole Board, apologises ‘unreservedly’ to victims who were not told about the decision
January 9: MPs including Labour’s Yvette Cooper and Tory Anna Soubry demand Worboys be banned from London over fears he knows where his victims live
January 13: Justice Secretary David Gauke takes advice on whether a judicial review could reverse the Parole Board’s controversial decision
January 16: The head of the Parole Board criticises ministers for considering challenging the decision
January 17: Victims launch crowdfunding campaign to raise funds to cover the legal fees for a judicial review of the case
January 19: Government decides not to pursue a legal challenge over his release
January 23: Worboys is transferred to HMP Belmarsh, south-east London, ahead of his release. Scotland Yard begin investigating a new sexual assault claim against him
January 25: London mayor Sadiq Khan files an application for a judicial review
January 26: Release of Worboys is put on hold after an ‘urgent application’ was made to the High Court on behalf of two of his victims for a stay of his release
February 4: Worboys is moved back out of the capital
February 7: Professor Hardwick outlines radical proposals to make the reasoning behind its decision public in the wake of outrage
February 21: Supreme Court rules that Met breached the human rights of two of Worboys’ victims by failing to properly investigate their claims, and awarded them £41,250. Decision could lead to other victims of serious crimes suing police forces
March 13: High Court challenge against decision to release Worboys by victims begins. It is revealed that the Parole Board decided to release Worboys because he had learned ‘not to hide negative thoughts and feelings’ during ‘positive’ treatment with psychologists. Court also hears that the board only considered the 12 victims he was convicted of attacking, not the 105 he is suspected of assaulting
March 28: High Court rules to overturn the decision to free him. Professor Hardwick stands down from role as Parole Board Chairman after being told by Justice Secretary David Gauke that his position was ‘untenable’
April 8: Mr Gauke admits he should take equal responsibility for decision that almost freed John Worboys
May: Victims and members of the public can request details of decisions to release criminals from prison for the first time.
August 13: Police question Worboys over more allegations of sexual assault
November 19: Parole Board says Worboys will remain in prison after reversing an earlier decision that he should be released
May 1: Worboys is charged with four further offences of drugging women to rape or sexually assault them
May 23: Worboys appears at Westminster Magistrates’ Court by video-link from Wakefield Prison.
June 20: Worboys pleads guilty to two counts of administering a stupefying or overpowering drug with intent to commit rape or indecent assault and two counts of administering a substance with intent to commit a sexual offence under the Sexual Offences Act.
December 17: Worboys is sentenced
Source: Read Full Article