London murder rate hits 100: Homicides in capital soar to triple figures as police discover pensioner, 73, found dead after house fire had been assaulted
- Police in the capital have seen a rise in the number of killings this year
- It is thought the murder toll has now reached 100 after woman was found dead
- Pensioner caught in a house fire is thought to have been attacked beforehand
The number of people killed in London this year appears to have reached 100 after a pensioner discovered dead following a house fire was found to have been assaulted before the blaze began.
Police say 73-year-old Carole Harrison was found dead in her house in Teddington, south west London, following a blaze in the early hours of Wednesday.
A post-mortem at Kingston Mortuary yesterday failed to establish a cause of death, but police say she had suffered injuries ‘consistent with an assault’ and have launched a murder inquiry.
The 100th person to have been killed in London this year is feared to have died in a fire in this street in suburban Teddington on Wednesday morning
Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are investigating what is the sixth murder inquiry launched in London in a week and the tenth this month.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard Leonard said: ‘Police were called just after 1am on Wednesday August 22nd to a fire at an address on Mays Road in Teddington.
‘Officers attended along with paramedics and London Fire Brigade.
Grenfell fraudster lied he was victim of tragedy to get £40k…
Katie Piper’s agony as her acid attacker is set for release…
Share this article
‘A 73-year-old woman was found dead inside the address. Her next of kin have been informed.
‘Although formal identification awaits, police are confident the victim is Carole Harrison who lived at the address.
‘A post-mortem examination was held at Kingston Mortuary on Thursday in which a cause of death has not yet been established and awaits further tests.
‘However, she was found to have injuries consistent with an assault.’
Over 100 people are thought to have been killed in the capital this year as crime rates soar
DCI Leonard added: ‘At this stage we are appealing to anyone who saw the Mrs Harrison on the day leading up to the fire.
‘In particular we want to hear from anyone who may have seen her out and about and most particularly if she had anyone with her. Anyone with information should call police immediately.’
Levels of violence in the capital have soared this year, with gang stabbings and shootings seeing the murder rate raise above that of New York in some months.
London’s year of violence: The victims of the ever-rising toll of carnage of the capital’s streets
Full list of 2018 London murders: total 100 as of Aug 23rd (all names confirmed by Scotland Yard)
1) Kyall Parnell, 17, was attacked in front of horrified revellers on his way to a New Year’s Eve party and died after being chased through traffic in Tulse Hill, south London. A murder investigation was opened in 2018.
2) Steve Frank Navarez-Jara was the first person to be killed in 2018. The 20-year-old was stabbed on New Year’s Day in Old Street, north London.
3) Elizabeta Lacatusu, 44, who came to London from Romania to work, was stabbed in Redbridge, east London on January 3.
4) Vijay Patel, 49, died on January 6 after being attacked outside a shop in Mill Hill Broadway after refusing a teenager trying to by Rizla cigarette papers.
5) Daniel Frederick, 34, died after being stabbed in Hackney on January 8 while walking home after attending a hospital check-up with his pregnant partner. Two boys aged 16, two boys aged 17 and Kacper Karasinski, 18, of Mount Pleasant Lane, Hackney charged with murder.
6) Harry Uzoka, 25, worked as a model in London and was knifed in the heart in Shepherd’s Bush on January 11. A fellow male model has since been convicted of his murder.
7) Seyed Azim Khan’s body was found in Ilford Cemetery with extensive head injuries in February after he went missing on his way home from work on January 24.
8) Yaya Mbye, 26, died in hospital after being stabbed in Stoke Newington. east London, on January 28.
9) Juan Olmos Saca, 39, was stabbed in the chest in Peckham, south east London, on the January 29 and died a week in hospital.
10) Khader Saleh, 25, was stabbed at Wormwood Scrubs prison on January 31.
11) Eleven-week-old Lily-Mai Saint George was found unresponsive at an address in Tottenham on January 31. She died at Great Ormond Street Hospital three days later. A murder investigation was launched on April 16 when a 21-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of murder.
12) Hassan Ozcan was just 19 when he died from multiple stab wounds in Barking, east London, on February 3.
13) Kwabena Nelson, 22, a youth worker from Tottenham, died after being stabbed near his home on February 3.
14) Hannah Leonard, 55, was stabbed in a flat in Camden on February 8.
15) Sabri Chibani, 19, was stabbed in the chest in Streatham, south west London, on February 11.
16) Bulent Kabala was the first victim to be shot dead in 2018. The 41-year-old was gunned down on February 12 and died at the scene in Barnet, north London.
17) Saeeda Hussain, 54, was stabbed at a house in Ilford on February 13 and died from her injuries.
18) Lord Promise Nkenda was just 17 when he was stabbed in Canning Town, east London, on Valentine’s Day.
19) Mark Smith, 48, died from multiple injuries after being found unconscious in Waltham Forest on February 15.
20) Lewis Blackman, 19, was stabbed in the early hours of February 18 after going to a house party in Kensington. He died outside the former home of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury.
21) Jozef Boci, 30, suffered serious head injuries after being attacked on the street in Greenwich on February 17 and died in hospital just under a week later.
22) Rotimi Oshibanjo, 26, was stabbed in Southall on February 19 and died from his injuries.
23) Sadiq Mohammed, 20, died after being stabbed in Camden on February 20.
24) Abdikarim Hassan, 17, a friend of Sadiq, died on the same night after also being stabbed in Camden.
25) Amir Ellouizi, 24, was shot in Westminster on February 20 and died seven days later on February 27.
26) Michael Boyle, 44, died from a single stab wound to the chest. He was attacked on 25 February and died in hospital on March 10.
27) Christopher Beaumont, 42, was stabbed at a house in Hammersmith on March 1.
28) Laura Figueira, 47, was found dead at her home in Richmond, south west London, on March 5th having suffered stab wounds.
29 and 30) Later the same day, her husband Adelino Figueia de Faria, 57 and two young sons Claudio, 10, and Joaquin, 7, were discovered at the bottom of Beachy Head at Birling Gap, East Sussex, with all three having died from ‘multiple injuries consistent with falling from a height’.
31) Kelva Smith was 20 when he died after being stabbed in the stomach in Croydon, south London. Boy, 14 and man, 19, charged with murder
32) Kelvin Odunuyi, 19, was shot outside a cinema in Wood Green on March 8.
33) Julian Joseph, 36, died in hospital 11 days after being attacked and suffering a serious head injury on a night bus in New Cross just after midnight of March 13. Kirk Wright ,32, charged with murder.
34) Nikolai Glushkov, 68, died from compression to the neck in New Malden on March 13.
35) Joseph William-Torres, 20, was shot in a car in in Essex Close, Walthamstow on March 14. Two teens, 15 and 17, charged with murder.
36) Lyndon Davis was 18 when he was stabbed in Chadwell Heath on March 14.
37) Naomi Hersi, 36, was found with stab wounds at a hotel near Heathrow Airport on March 16 and was pronounced dead 30 minutes later.
38) Russell Jones, 23, died after suffering from stab injuries and a gunshot wound in Enfield, north London, on March 17. Two 20-year-olds, both from Enfield, have been charged with his murder.
39) Tyrone Silcott, 41, died after being stabbed in Hackney on March 18.
40) Balbir Johal, 48, was admitted to hospital with stab wounds after being attacked in Southall on March 19 and died a few hours later.
41) Jermaine Johnson, 41, was stabbed to death an an address in Walthamstow on March 19.
42) Beniamin Pieknyi, 21, was found with stab wounds at the Stratford shopping centre in East London, on March 20 and was pronounced dead at the scene.
43) Abraham Badru, 26, was shot in Dalston on March 25.
44) Wieslaw Kopcynski, 59, died on March 27th two days after being found lying in bed in Barking with serious head injuries following a suspected assault. A post-mortem found the cause of death was a complex skull fracture
45) David Potter, 50, was found dead inside a house in Tooting High Street on March 26 after suffering from stab injuries. Christopher McMahon, 47, charged with his murder.
46) Reece Tshoma was 23 when he was stabbed in Plumstead, south east London, on March 29.
47) Leyla Mtumwa, 36, was found with stab wounds at a home in Haringey on March 30.
48) Ourania Lambrou, 80, died in hospital after being pushed to the ground by her attacker in a drunken rage in Camden on March 31. Harry Goodwin-Sims charged with manslaughter.
49) Devoy Stapleton, 20, stabbed outside bar in Wandsworth in the early hours of April 1. Billy Botton, 24, charged with his murder.
50) Tanesha Melbourne, 17, was shot in the chest on April 2 after a drive-by shooting in Tottenham, north London.
51) Amaan Shakoor, 16, was shot in the face, also on April 2 in Walthamstow and died a day later in hospital.
52) Career criminal Henry Vincent, 37, died after being stabbed in the chest as he burgled Richard Osborn-Brooks’ house in Lewisham on April 4. The 78-year-old was initially arrested for murder but cleared of all charges and faces no further action
53) Babatunde Akintayo Awofeso, 53, died after fight at a bookmakers in Upper Clapton on April 4 following reports of an altercation with another man.
54) Israel Ogunsola, 18, in Hackney after being stabbed, also on April 4. The victim approached police who performed first aid but he died at the scene after 25 minutes.
55) John Maclean, 35, stabbed at a flat in the Isle of Dogs on April 12th. Alex Glanfield-Collis, 25, charged with his murder.
56) Raul Nicolaie, 26, stabbed to death in Zenith Close, Colindale at 6pm on Sunday, April 15th. Simone Fergus, 34, of Zenith Close charged with his murder.
57) Natasha Hill, 18, found dead with head injuries at an address in Sewell Road, Abbey Wood at 4.22am on Sunday April 15. A 32-year-old man who knew Ms Hill was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and bailed to mid-October
58) Samantha Clarke, 30s, stabbed to death in Sudbourne Road, Brixton, at 6:30pm on Sunday, April 15th. Jordan Clarke, 21, thought to be her brother, charged with murder appeared in custody at Old Bailey on April 19.
59) Sami Sidhom, 18, who studied law and history at Queen Mary University, was stabbed in the back just yards from his home in Forest Gate, east London, after going to the West Ham v Stoke game on April 16. No arrests have been made.
60) builder John Woodward, 47, found dead on the roof of the Pressman Mastermelts building in Hatton Garden on April 17. Post-mortem gave cause of death as blunt force trauma to the head.
61) Aaron Springett, 32, died after street fight outside bookies in Merton, south west London, after suffering from a blunt force trauma to the chest on April 20. Joseph Otinkoran Ankrah, 31, charged with the murder.
62) Kwasi Anim-Boadu, 20, stabbed during a mass brawl in Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, north London, on April 21. A 21-year-old man who had knife wounds to his hands was arrested at the scene and charged with murder.
63) Leon Maxwell, 38, shot outside Queensbury tube station on May 1. A 26-year-old man also shot went to a north London hospital
64) Rhyhiem Barton, 17, shot dead in broad daylight near his family’s flat in Kennington on May 5th
65) Onees Khatoon, 71, murdered at her home in Gade Close, Hayes, on May 13. Her son Majid Butt, 51, has been charged.
66) Rosina Coleman, 85, found battered to death by a handyman at her home in Romford on May 15.
67) Abdulrahman Nassor Juma, 24, known to friends as Mani, fatally stabbed in the chest in Barking on May 17.
68) Osman Shidane, 20, stabbed repeatedly in Ruislip on evening of May 15, died three days later on Friday May 18. A 16-year-old boy charged with murder.
69) homeless Arunesh Thangarajah, 28, stabbed to death in Mitcham in early hours of Sunday May 20th. A 44-year-old man has been charged with his murder.
70) Sophie Cavanagh, 31, viciously attacked at an address in Bromley around 6pm on Sunday May 20. Murder Squad detectives charged her husband Martin Cavanagh, 34.
71) Father-of-two Marcel Campbell, 30, from Tottenham, fatally stabbed outside an ice cream parlour in Islington on Monday May 21st.
72) Gerry Gaffney, 46, died in hospital on May 21st, eight days after being repeatedly stabbed near The Oval cricket ground in south London on Sunday May 14th. A 52-year-old man has been charged
73) Molly Frank, 61, a care worker, suffered fatal head injuries at an Islington residential home on May 24 and died in hospital the next day. A special post-mortem examination gave the cause of death as intra-cerebral haemorrhage. A 95-year-old arrested on suspicion of murder was released under investigation. Scotland Yard said officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident
74) Aspiring actress and singer Bethany-Maria Beales, 22, fell to her death from the 19th floor of The Heron, a 36-storey residential skyscraper in the City on May 26. City of London police arrested man and woman, both 38, on suspicion of murder
75) Mark Fontaine, 41, from Walthamstow, repeatedly stabbed in Chelsea on May 30. A 14-year-old boy has been charged with his murder.
76) Andra Hilitanu, 28, who was seven months pregnant with her third child, found stabbed in the neck at her flat in Brent on June 1st. The Romanian national’s family revealed that her unborn child also died. A 43-year-old man has been charged with her murder.
77) Edmond Jonuzi, a 35-year-old Albanian, was knifed in park and collapsed near Turnpike Lane station in north London on the evening of Saturday June 9th. A 19-year-old has been charged with his murder.
78) Gitana Matukeviciene, 50 and originally from Lithuania, found with multiple injuries at a residential address in Dagenham on Saturday June 9th never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead on Tuesday June 12th. A 52-year-old man has been charged.
79) Mark Tremain, 52, died from his injuries on June 14th two weeks after being badly beaten near his home in Albert Square, Stockwell, on May 31st.
80) Apprentice lift engineer Joshua Boadu, 23, died in hospital on June 18th, seven days after being repeatedly stabbed in Bermondsey.
81) Matthew Thomas, 39, died shortly after being found with multiple injuries at a flat in Pimlico on Thursday June 21st.
82) Slawomir Weglarski, 39, died after a fight outside a pub in Greenford in the early hours of Saturday June 23rd
83) Gita Suri, 56, found with stab wounds to her back in the garden of a house in Greenwich on Saturday June 23rd. Gary Davies, 50, has been charged with her murder
84) Schoolboy Jordan Douherty, 15, from Chafford Hundred, stabbed to death after a birthday party in Romford on Saturday June 23rd.
85) Ishak Tacine, 20, of Enfield, repeatedly stabbed in Edmonton following reports of an altercation between men armed with baseball bats on June 27th.
86) elderly woman Shuren Ma, 72, found with a fatal head injury at a house in Woolwich on July 1st.
87) Janek Brakonecki, 57, a Polish national, found critically injured in a car park off Leytonstone High Road on Saturday July 7th. A man, aged in his 60s was arrested later the same day on suspicion of murder.
88) Katerina Makunova, 17, stabbed to death in a block of flats in Camberwell on Thursday July 12th
89) Latwaan Griffiths, 18, from Southwark, died in hospital hours after being found with stab wounds in Denmark Road, Camberwell, on July 25. He had been dumped in the street by a moped rider
90) Sheila Thomas, 69, was found stabbed to death at her home in Casino Avenue, Herne Hill on Tuesday July 31st. David Thomas, 73, was taken to hospital for treatment for stab wounds before being charged with murder.
91) Drill rapper Sidique Kamara, 23, aka Incognito, stabbed to death in Camberwell in an alleged gang feud on August 1.
92) Thomas Peter, 50, of Valentines Way, Dagenham, has been charged with murder and arson with intent to endanger life after woman found dead in east London on Thursday August 2nd.
93) Malik Chattun, 22, from Surbiton, stabbed to death in group fight in Kingston just after 2am on Aug 5.
94) Seven-year-old Joel Urhie died in arson attack on his family home in Adolphus Street, Deptford, just before 3.30am on Tuesday August 7th.
95) Simonne Kerr, 31, A nurse who starred as part of a the B Positive choir who reached the final of this year’s Britain’s Got Talent, stabbed to death at an address in Grayshott Road, Battersea, on Wednesday August 15th.
96) Joseph Cullimore, 42, died after being repeatedly stabbed at a house in Chingford in the early hours of Friday August 17th. A 16-year-old boy has been charged with his murder.
97) Gary Amer, 63, a plumber of Holborn, found with multiple knife wounds at an address off the Old Kent Road on the afternoon of Friday August 17th. William Treadwell, 67, has been charged with his murder.
98) Leroy ‘Junior’ Edwards, 66, found with multiple stab wound at an address in Catford in the early hours of Saturday August 18th. A 29-year-old Essex woman has been charged with his murder.
99) A 43-year-old woman badly burnt in a fire at a flat in Finsbury Park on July 5th died at a specialist burns hospital on Tuesday August 21st. A 42-year-old man has been charged in connection with the incident.
100) Carole Harrison, 73, found dead inside her house in Teddington following a fire on Wednesday August 22nd. A post-mortem found she had suffered injuries consistent with an assault.
Source: Read Full Article