Man dies at Wetherspoons after choking on food in pub

A Wetherspoon customer has died after he was rushed to hospital having choked on his meal at a Somerset restaurant.

Paramedics attended The Palladium Electric in Midsomer Norton on Monday around 4.20pm, and they were able to revive him, but he later died in hospital.

Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon said staff and customers did all they could to save the man.

A member of the public with first aid training also stepped in to help.

Mr Gershon said: “First and foremost we send our sympathies to the family and friends of the customer who passed away.

“As soon as a member of staff was made aware of the man choking, staff and customers called the emergency services.

“The duty manager then spoke with the emergency services. He was guided through some procedures.

"A customer stepped in saying they were first aid trained and started to give CPR until the paramedics arrived 5-10 minutes later and they then took over.

“At this time the duty manager started to clear the immediate area of customers and also stopped people coming into the pub.

“The paramedics managed to revive the customer and then an air ambulance took the customer to hospital."

Mr Gershon said that the man's family called the restaurant on Tuesday to say that he had died.

He continued: “The family of the customer called the pub the following day to say he had passed away and thanked the team for their efforts.

“We are confident that staff responded well to the situation and refute claims to the contrary.”

South Western Ambulance Service has confirmed several resources, including the air ambulance, were dispatched to the Palladium Electric after receiving a call just before 4.20pm.

  • Wetherspoons

Source: Read Full Article