McDonald’s denies customer with allergy ‘nearly killed’ by ‘milk mix-up’

McDonald's has denied a customer's claim that a milk mix-up nearly killed her.

Savannah Kyriazopoulos claims that she was given almond milk in error, triggering her severe nut allergy.

But in a statement McDonald's said it can "confirm the almond milk carton wasn't touched" during the preparation of Savannah's drink.

The make-up artist said after taking three sips from her takeaway drink her throat began to close up while she was driving home from fast-food restaurant in Dapto, Wollongong, NSW.

The 24-year-old said she went into anaphylactic shock and as she struggled to breathe, she lost control of her car and smashed into a letterbox, reports Daily Mail.

She added: "My life flashed before my eyes, everything went black, I was just so desperate to breathe."

Savannah injected herself with her EpiPen, which contains adrenaline, and called her sister for help. She was rushed to hospital.

  • Groom didn't know if gender fluid fiance would be Chris or Fiona on wedding day

  • UK weather: Met Office issues fresh snow warning for tomorrow

Savannah said she made McDonald's staff aware of her allergy when she placed her order and that she checked with them they had given her full-cream milk – it even said "full cream milk" on her receipt.

She said: "People just think you're being fussy and maybe don't like the taste but your throat can close up and you can die.

"I tasted it and I thought 'this doesn't taste right', but I thought maybe they'd just put heaps of sugar in it.

"Lucky I wasn't too far from home when the reaction started coming on – I was off the highway and in a quiet street – otherwise it could've been much worse.

  • Coronavirus in cats and dogs: Can your pet give you the deadly virus?

  • Mum swaps job as Navy warfare specialist to become a £90 bum lift 'boot-ician'

Read More

Today's Top Stories

  • Gene Gallagher 'attacked shopkeeper'
  • 'Porn film caught in garage snack aisle'
  • Bird spotted 'frozen' in mid air
  • Storm Ciara to bring Arctic freeze

"The nurses said if I had come in five minutes later I wouldn't be here."

A McDonald's Australia spokesperson said in a statement "the safety and quality of the food and drinks we serve to our customers is of the utmost priority to us".

The statement continued: "We have thoroughly investigated this situation, including reviewing CCTV, and can confirm that the customer was provided with the small iced latte ordered.

"From the CCTV footage, we've confirmed the almond milk carton was not touched or poured while the customer's order was being made.

"Also, there were no almond milk orders at the restaurant during the time the customer's order was being prepared and served."

Source: Read Full Article