Thomas, 73, earlier vowed to walk his daughter up the aisle after she begged him to be there – but he's been forced to pull out for a second time.
And he says son Tom Jr triggered his heart scare by writing an open letter warning Prince Harry not to marry Meghan this Saturday.
Mr Markle Snr said he was due to go into surgery today at 2.30pm UK time after checking himself into hospital for a battery of tests.
He told TMZ: “They will go in and clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed.”
The latest revelation came just hours after it was reported he did want to go to the wedding to give Meghan away to Harry — itself only 24 hours after announcing he would not be there.
What we know so far…
- Meghan Markle's dad Thomas will reportedly undergo major heart surgery at 2.30pm UK time on Wednesday and WON'T attend the Royal Wedding on Saturday
- He'd earlier said he wouldn't be attending for fear of embarrassing Meghan and the royal family over staged paparazzi photos
- The 73-year-old suffered a heart scare last week which he has reportedly blamed on an open letter by his son Tom Jr
- Mr Markle backed Meghan's mum Doria Ragland to give her away instead after he pulled out
- Prince Harry was said to blame himself for the upset just days before the wedding
- But despite the chaos Kensington Palace sources said the wedding would still go ahead
- Piers Morgan slammed Meghan's half-sister Samantha, saying she had been a media "vulture", after she appeared on GMB to defend her dad
He said he had changed his mind after Meghan begged him to come.
He said of the decision: “I’d like to be part of history.
"Of course I’d walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment.
“I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle.”
The retired lighting director, who lives in Rosarito, Mexico, said medics had told him his heart was “seriously damaged” after a heart attack a week ago.
Meanwhile, he also revealed to TMZ that Meghan texted him to say "I love you" before he announced he is to undergo surgery.
On Monday, Thomas said he would not attend the Windsor wedding because he did not want to embarrass his daughter or the royals after admitting he was paid for staged paparazzi photos.
When asked yesterday if he thought the Queen would be upset with him, Thomas said: “I don’t think the Queen is thinking about what I’m doing.”
He said his actions had been “stupid” but not a serious mistake.
Thomas told TMZ Meghan had tried calling him after he said he would not be at the wedding.
He said he missed the call and she later sent a text saying she loved him and was concerned about his health.
Thomas said Meghan told him neither she nor Harry cared about him being paid for posed shots.
He said he has been taking Valium for his anxiety.
A friend yesterday said those who know Meghan and Thomas will be saddened but not surprised if he does not go.
The pal added: “I was never convinced he would be there, even after he was ‘confirmed’. He has a history of backing out of social commitments.
"He is socially awkward to say the least, so such a massive occasion would be overwhelming.
“He will have been anxious about the etiquette, the attention — and so will Meghan.”
The friend said Thomas has been known to nod off at gatherings and added: “He’s had health issues in the past, so I’m not surprised it’s been mentioned.
“Meghan is much closer to her mother Doria and will probably want her to walk her down the aisle anyway.”
Thomas was supposed to fly to London this week and meet the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles, Camilla, Wills and Kate over lunch.
Elder brother Michael, 78, said Thomas had got used to handling pressure in his work as a lighting director on film sets.
Michael said: “He’s always had to deal with deadlines with his job and pressure to get the shows ready on time. I was very surprised when I heard that he was missing the wedding.
“I think it’s easy to blame the media for everything but you’ve got to take a little bit of responsibility yourself as well.
“Although I understand he’s in a difficult situation because he values his privacy.
“I had talked to him about it and told him to go along with it and just enjoy it. Thomas and Meghan are very close. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.”
Michael added he was not aware if his brother had suffered a heart attack.
He added: “I haven’t talked to him in two weeks so I don’t know.
“He’s obese though. He’s very heavy and it’s easy to have a heart attack if you’re grossly overweight.”
Asked whether he finds it strange for his family to not be told about such a serious health concern, Michael replied: “Well you’d think family members would have been invited to this wedding.
“But evidently the decision was made a while back, and I don’t know by whom, to restrict the Markles. That’s not normal either.”
Source: Read Full Article