Model brutally beat to pulp by boyfriend reveals how harrowing selfie saved her

A model blinded in one eye following a vicious assault by her abusive boyfriend has spoken out after a selfie saved her life.

Martha Dolak was trapped after her controlling partner Michael Goodwin locked the doors to his flat before beating her to a pulp – causing her to suffer facial and skull fractures as well as permanent damage to her optical nerves.

But in a clever escape bid, the 31-year-old snapped a selfie of her horrific injuries and sent it to a friend, who immediately alerted Martha’s parents and the police.

The brutal attack, which took place in October last year whilst Michael’s two young children were in the next room, escalated after the manipulative builder checked through Martha’s phone.

Multiple casualties after car hits crowd in Greater Manchester hit and run as ‘people flung everywhere’

He saw a text from a friend she’d confided in about his controlling ways, urging her to leave him.

She said: "When Michael saw the message he was livid. I was terrified so I tried to get my things and go.

"He told me I couldn’t leave and both the doors were locked.

"I went to the window to see if I could jump out safely – but suddenly I felt an excruciating pain and remember nothing else.

"I woke up in bed. I knew he must have put me there but I couldn’t move.

"I couldn’t feel my legs and I had the most painful headache, I couldn’t lift my head up at all.

"My eye wouldn’t open and my face felt thick with dry blood.

"I took a selfie – I wanted to see what was wrong with me.

"I was horrified at what I saw. I sent the picture to my friend so that she would get help.

"It was only afterwards that I realised he had kicked me in the head.

"My friend told my parents straight away, and my dad, who doesn’t speak very good English, went to the police station with the text.

"The police went to an old address for Michael first and spoke to his sister.

"She told the police I had fallen down the stairs, and then came to Michael’s
new house to warn him they were on to him.

"After she came they reluctantly decided to take me to the hospital.

"I could have died if I was left without medical attention for much longer."

After the attack Martha left Michael, 30, for good and took out an injunction against him.

Martha, from London and who had been in a relationship for 18 months, added: "After the attack people would say to me "he’s an animal" – but he is not, he is a monster.

"I want to raise awareness and show to people that no matter how educated you are no matter how strong you look it can happen to anyone.

"I never expected this to happen to someone like me, I thought because I’m smart, have a degree, am independent and see myself as a feminist that I would be able to see it happening.

"But domestic violence does not choose someone based on those things.

"It’s been the most horrific experience of my life but it made me stronger.

"I am not looking for sympathy, I just want to raise awareness of him so that other girls know what he is like. I have left Michael for good and I will never get into a another violent relationship ever again."

Micheal, of Diprose Lodge, Tooting, denied charges of ABH, assault by beating, damage to property and breach of a non-molestation order along with other unrelated offences – but was convicted by a jury.

He was jailed for four years and three months at Kingston Crown Court.

Source: Read Full Article