New York removes its protest curfew earlier than planned for one surprising reason

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The City had planned to keep the 8 pm citywide curfew in place until at least Sunday, in line with aims to enter the first phase of reopening after more than two months of shutdowns due to coronavirus. De Blasio tweeted about the curfew’s effective end: “Yesterday and last night we saw the very best of our city, tomorrow we take the first big step to restart.”

Several local politicians had ordered on de Blasio to lift the curfew – New York’s first in decades, and on Friday, civil rights groups had threatened to sue the mayor if he continued the curfew. 

The politicians argued the curfew causes needless friction between protesters and officers.

The move follows President Donald Trump’s order for National Guard troops to start withdrawing from the nation’s capital, revealing everything now is ‘under perfect control.’

Trump had enlisted thousands of troops and federal law enforcement to the city to quell cases of looting and violence. 

DC Mayor Muriel Bowser called for Trump to remove National Guard troops that some states had sent to the city last week.

Trump tweeted two days ago “they will be going home but can quickly return if needed.”

These new steps taken by President Trump and leaders in Washington were a reflection that protests have become more peaceful after initial protests were affected by acts of confrontation and violence. 

Researchers say that these were the most sweeping and sustained protests in the country’s history. 

The protests were sparked by the killing of George Floyd, a 46-year old black man who died on Memorial Day after a Minneapolis police officer forced his knee into Floyd’s neck for more than eight minutes. 

Derek Chauvin, faces second- and third-degree murder charges. 

While the three other former officers who were at the scene at the time of the incident also face charges of abetting and aiding the killing. 

As the curfew was alleviated, a sizable group of protesters entered onto FDR Drive, the main north-south line along Manhattan’s east side, closely followed by police, causing police to temporarily close one side of the roadway. 

Americans are drinking BLEACH to prevent COVID-19 in shock new data [REVEALED]
Trump humiliation: COVID-19 swab batch ‘discarded’ after POTUS visit [INSIGHT]
Melania Trump and Ivanka do this differently in White House [PICTURES]

Police also moved barriers to allow thousands of protesters to march towards the Trump International Hotel and Tower in midtown Manhattan.

Despite the large group of crowds, protesters were still urged to wear masks due to the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Brandon Watts, a black pastor at Epiphany Church in Brooklyn, required participants to wear a mask at a “Pray and Protest” march on Sunday.

Speaking to Yahoo Watts said: “Covid-19 hit the inner city harder than anybody else.

“So we have to be very careful. 

We’re the only ones in a pandemic with a pandemic.”

De Blasio revealed police have arrested only four people and issued 24 court summonses on Saturday. 

However, there were more than 2,00 arrests carried out through Friday, spiking on Sunday and Monday. 

Hundreds were arrested as the police attempted to regulate crime in Manhattan’s shopping districts. 

Source: Read Full Article