NORTH Korea have released pictures from space in what they claimed was the “biggest missile launch in years.”
South Korean and Japanese authorities reported that the Hwasong-12 intermediate-range ballistic missile reached a height of 1,242 miles before landing in the ocean on Sunday.
North Korea state news agency KCNA released a set of images taken from a camera installed on the missile's warhead.
Officials said that the Hwasong-12 can carry a "large-size heavy nuclear warhead", and analysts estimate it has the capability to travel 2,800 miles.
On Sunday their latest report "confirmed the accuracy, safety, and operational effectiveness of the produced Hwasong-12 type weapon system."
It was the seventh test conducted by the secretive nation this month and the first time a missile of that size has been launched since 2017.
North Korea has consistently reasoned that missile tests comes under their sovereign right to self-defence.
And on Monday, South Korean Defence Minister Suh Wook visited his country's Army Missile Command to check missile preparation.
Most read in News
Body of newborn baby found as desperate medics fail to revive tot
Train dangles over track washed away in storm after hero driver slams brakes
DNA & blood tests could solve murder of schoolgirl Billie-Jo Jenkins 25 years on
Woman found dead at door named as 'loving' mum-of-four as cops hunt killer
"North Korea's series of missile test-fires, including intermediate-range ballistic missiles, pose a direct and serious threat to us and a grave challenge to international peace and stability," Suh said.
"We will maintain a full military readiness posture that can respond immediately to any situation."
The update comes after North Korean officials had accused the United States and other western nations of intentionally escalating the situation amid new sanctions.
Earlier this month U.S. President Joe Biden's administration called on the U.N. Security Council to blacklist several North Korean individuals and entities found guilty of enhancing the program.
US officials are now said to have stepped up in activity warranted renewed talks with Pyongyang in light of the latest launch.
It comes as the nation has continued ramping up tests in recent months of new missiles designed to overwhelm missile defences in the region.
Some experts say North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is going back to a tried-and-true technique of pressuring the U.S. and regional neighbours with missile launches and outrageous threats before offering negotiations meant to extract concessions.
Kim carried out a series missile tests last year, including what it is claimed are hypersonic weapons.
Some of these tests violate strict international sanctions.
The country is specifically prohibited by the United Nations from testing ballistic missiles as well as nuclear weapons.
Source: Read Full Article