Novichok victim Charlie Rowley is fighting for his life again

Novichok victim Charlie Rowley was tonight feared to be fighting deadly meningitis.

Charlie, 45, is back in the same ­hospital where he and girlfriend Dawn Sturgess were treated after being ­poisoned by the Russian nerve agent.

Dawn, 44, died from the same poison used in the attempted killing of Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury, Wilts.

There are now fears that Charlie could face life-changing injuries from the ­illness, which it is feared came as a result of his body being run down by the ­novichok attack.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday People his brother Matthew, 47, said today: “I spoke to the nurse in charge and she said they think it’s meningitis.

“That’s what he’s being treated for at the moment, but they’re still doing tests to find out more information.

“I don’t think they know which type of meningitis it is yet.

“It looks like he got it from his body being run down by the novichok. I think he got released too early.”

Charlie is being monitored round the clock by a dedicated team of medics – eight days after being readmitted to the intensive care unit at Salisbury District Hospital where he and Dawn were first treated for novichok poisoning.

Paramedics rushed to Charlie’s new home in Amesbury, Wilts, last Friday after he managed to dial 999 when he was going temporarily blind.

Matthew said: “He was in a bad way and I wasn’t sure he was going to make it. All of his systems seemed to be ­shutting down.

“He can see again now but he’s still got double vision.

“I don’t know much about meningitis, but it shuts down the organs and you can lose limbs and different things.

Read More

Novichok poisoning

  • What is Novichok?
  • New info from Charlie Rowley
  • Funeral for Dawn Sturgess
  • Cops work on ‘hitmen’ theory

“I don’t know if that’ll happen to Charles, I can’t comment on that.”

Meningitis is life-threatening and is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year worldwide.

It is caused by an infection with micro-organisms and can lead to serious long-term consequences including brain damage, deafness and epilepsy.

An ambulance was first called to Charlie’s home on June 30 after Dawn, a mum-of-three, collapsed. She had sprayed herself with what she thought was a discarded perfume bottle.

It turned out to contain the Russian-made military-grade nerve agent. Hours later Charlie was admitted to hospital after falling ill and was in a coma for ten days.

But while he went on to make a ­miracle recovery after a month in ­hospital, Dawn died on July 8.

The pair were exposed to the novichok from a bottle they found dumped in Salisbury’s Queen Elizabeth Gardens.

The park was ­reopened on Friday after police finally ­declared it safe.

A five-month ­investigation concluded earlier this month that a two-strong hit team who flew in from Russia was ­responsible for the poisonings.

But President Putin has denied any involvement by his country.

Matthew said of his brother: “He’s had a terrible time.

“He’s still trying to get over losing Dawn. He really did love her. He’s so upset about it.”

A spokesman for the Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust said: “We do not ­comment on individual patients.”

Sergei, 67, had lived in the UK for eight years after being freed from jail in Russia following his trial for giving ­secrets to Britain’s MI6.

His daughter Yulia, 33, was visiting from Moscow when they were struck down by novichok.

Source: Read Full Article