A group representing New York City’s public-housing residents wants a “seat at the table” while a judge considers whether to approve a $1 billion-plus deal to settle the feds’ suit over their decrepit and dangerous living conditions.
The City-Wide Council of Presidents filed court papers Tuesday seeking permission to invervene in the case brought last week against the New York City Housing Authority by the Manhattan US Attorney’s Office.
The letter to Manhattan federal Judge William Pauley III says terms of a pre-arranged consent decree — which includes imposition of a court-appointed monitor — “prove that the United States does not adequately represent the Tenants’ interests here.”
The letter claims that the deal “offers Tenants no role in setting performance standards and policies” and that the money offered by the city “cannot possibly solve the systemic, pervasive problems in NYCHA’s facilities and operations.”
“The Tenants have a legal right to a seat at the table; the government offers none,” lawyer Nicole Gueron wrote.
A spokesman for Manhattan US Attorney Geoffrey Berman declined to comment, but pointed to a statement issued last week in which Berman said the consent decree “provides for CCOP –- which is a stakeholder singled out by name in the Consent Decree -– and other residents to provide input as to the selection of the Monitor and the prioritization of projects, and also requires the Monitor to hold periodic meetings with residents to hear their concerns.”
Source: Read Full Article