The two Brooklyn cops who were suspended amid an internal probe into their weekend response involving a fatal shooting victim were identified Monday — as more details about their alleged botched actions came to light.
Officers Roberto Anton and Lisa Lovell of the 73rd Precinct are under investigation for not getting out of their patrol car while responding to the early Saturday shooting, sources said.
According to the NYPD, a trio of thugs assaulted two men, ages 44 and 43, around 3:30 a.m. after a verbal dispute in front of Harvey’s Bar and Restaurant on Broadway near Joy Way in Bushwick.
During the brawl, one of the three attackers shot both of the victims before fleeing in a white sedan. The NYPD’s gunfire detection system ShotSpotter picked up the shooting incident, sources said.
Officials say the 43-year-old man, who suffered a gunshot wound to the neck, was brought to Kings County Hospital by EMS in critical but stable condition at 3:36 a.m.
By that time, the second victim, 44-year-old Robert Fason, had already hobbled about two blocks to Decatur Street, where he attempted to get help by banging on something to alert residents, law enforcement sources said.
Multiple 911 calls were made shortly after the shooting and until roughly three hours later, when an unconscious and unresponsive Fason was found by authorities on Decatur Street, sources said.
The first 911 call came in shortly after 4 a.m. for a man “complaining of injury,” said NYPD Chief of Patrol Rodney Harrison at a press conference Monday. Authorities said the call reported that the man was in the vicinity of Decatur Street.
Anton and Lovell responded to the call around 4:20 a.m. — although they stayed in their patrol car, Harrison said.
“Upon arrival, the officers right now, according to the investigation, did not get out of the car,” Harrison said.
The officers deemed the job “unnecessary” in radio signal code and then drove off, according to Harrison.
A source said: “The two cops pulled up, and they didn’t see anything, and they left.”
It’s unclear how long the cops stayed at the scene.
About an hour and a half later, around 6 a.m., the same 911 caller made another emergency call, again within the vicinity of Decatur Street, and another set of officers responded, Harrison said.
Those cops found Fason around 6:25 a.m. with gunshot wounds to his torso in front of a home on Decatur Street near Thomas S. Boyland Street.
Paramedics responded to the scene, where they pronounced Fason, a Bedford-Stuyvesant resident, dead.
Harrison said the two officers under investigation “were suspended due to a lack of proper investigation, and the borough’s investigation unit is still conducting to look into what happened.”
Meanwhile, police are still on the hunt for the victims’ attackers.
Cops released surveillance footage and images of the suspects, who were described as in their 30s, on Sunday.
Additional reporting by Ben Feuerherd
Source: Read Full Article