Parsons Green bucket bomber Ahmed Hassan almost taken off terror watch list just 10 days before Tube attack

It emerged yesterday that Ahmed Hassan had caught the attention of the police and local council – but a panel set up to discuss his risk was due to close the case on him.

Days later the 18-year-old injured 51 people after detonating a bucket bomb on the London Underground in September last year.

Hassan, now 19, was convicted of attempted murder and jailed for life with a minimum term of 34 years in March.

A review into the handling of his case found there was a failure to realise the risks posed by mental health problems and lack of a plan to monitor his progress.

The Home Office revealed on Monday there were nine formal panel discussions about Hassan between June 2016 and September 2017.


A letter from Permanent Secretary Sir Philip Rutnam to Yvette Cooper, chairwoman of the Commons Home Affairs Committee, confirmed his case was almost closed.

After arriving in Britain in 2015 Hassan, an Iraqi asylum seeker, told Home Office officials he had been trained to kill by Islamic State, his trial at the Old Bailey heard.

Cops decided Hassan was suitable for a number of counter terrorism strategies, including Prevent and Channel.

According to Sir Philip's letter, police Channel practitioners spoke with Hassan on two occasions, in August and November 2016.

Following the revelations, security minister Ben Wallace said "swift action" has been taken to address the issues raised.

He said: "The Home Office and partner organisations have accepted the majority of the recommendations and following this case we had already put in place processes to ensure better communication between immigration and Prevent partners, as well as reviewing how Channel procedures are monitored."

Surrey County Council, who gave permission for the teen to take part in Channel, said it was a "difficult case in tough circumstances".

A spokesman for the authority said: "Our work with other agencies in this case wasn't as good as it should have been and we're sorry for our part in that.

"We knew before the terrible incident at Parsons Green that we needed to make changes and had already begun to do so.

"Since then we have made further improvements and continue to focus on ensuring our work in this area is as good as it can be. Our thoughts remain with everyone affected."



 

Source: Read Full Article