Pope silent over claims he covered up sex abuse scandal

Pope Francis is staying mum about a lengthy letter in which a former Vatican official accused him of covering up claims of sexual abuse and called on him to resign.

“I will not say a word about that,” the pontiff said Sunday during his landmark visit to Ireland.

“Read the statement carefully and judge it for yourselves,” he added to reporters aboard his plane, according to Agence France-Presse. “You have sufficient journalistic capacity to draw conclusions. When a little time has passed and you have the conclusions, perhaps I will talk.”

In his 11-page letter, Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, the former Vatican ambassador to the US, claimed he told the pontiff in 2013 that former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick was “a serial predator.” He didn’t offer any proof of the alleged conversation.

“He knew he was a corrupt man,” Vigano wrote. “He covered for him to the bitter end.”

Vigano said that the Holy Father should resign to set an example for cardinals and bishops who covered up McCarrick’s abuses.

McCarrick, the former Archbishop of Washington who is now 88, resigned last month after a US church probe found “credible” allegations that he had sexually assaulted seminarians and minors, including an 11-year-old boy.

Vigano’s letter was released a day before the pope begged for forgiveness over child sexual abuse in the Catholic Church.

With Post wires

Source: Read Full Article