Prince Andrew ‘attends palace for crisis talks’ as interview fallout rumbles on

Underfire Prince Andrew was allegedly forced to attend Buckingham Palace on Monday morning for crisis talks as the fallout from his "car crash" BBC interview rumbles on.

It is understood that the embattled Duke of York had no alternative but to axe a visit to flood-hit areas of the country reeling from torrential rain.

A number of high profile companies, including accountancy giant KPMG, have announced they will cut ties with the prince's charitable initiatives, as the Duke continues to face allegations that he had sex with 17-year-old Virginia Roberts.

Andrew, 59, has come under increasing pressure to bow out of public life following an interview with BBC journalist Emily Maitlis that has been described as a "car crash".

In the interview, Andrew continued to defend his friendship with dead US financier Jeffrey Epstein and denied any knowledge of the dead paedophile's alleged ill-legal activity – despite staying at a number of his properties.

  • Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Guiffre films BBC Panorama interview

  • The Queen ‘under strain’ over Prince Andrew scandal as pressure ‘piling up’

A source told The Sun: "Prince Andrew and the Royal Household have been insistent the current controversy will not impact his work or public role.

"But to cancel a visit to the flood region is a sign of just how damaging this how now become for him.

"It’s hard to see how he could possibly do his work in this climate. This has become the biggest royal crisis in a generation and it’s hard to see it going away any time soon.

"He was at Buckingham Palace for some sort of crisis summit yesterday. It’s dawned on him just how bad things are."

  • The Queen 'backs and believes Prince Andrew 100%' after disastrous BBC interview

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: "We would not comment on any private meetings the Duke may have had."

Yesterday evening a South Yorkshire source confirmed that Andrew had pulled plans to visit over the past 48 hours, the publication reports.

Accountancy firm KPMG had been associated with the Duke's start-up [email protected] initiative, a mentorship scheme for entrepreneurs but the firm pulled the plug on the partnership yesterday.

  • Kate Middleton and Wills put on brave face after Prince Andrew interview

Read More

Today's Top Stories

  • Deadly UK weather
  • Poch sacked by Spurs
  • Corbyn's 'wonky' glasses
  • Cloning fears

Companies looking to distance themselves from the prince have reportedly left him "worried sick", with five more businesses cutting ties in the past four days.

US banking giant Standard Chartered yesterday became the latest big firm to cut ties with the charity.

Finance Aon, plus Advertising Week Europe and tech firm Gravity Road, had announced they were ending their partnership with the start-up.

Source: Read Full Article