Pub-goers throw punches as mass brawl breaks out after semi-final defeat

Rowdy football fans caused chaos in the aftermath of the Three Lions’ 2-1 World Cup defeat to Croatia, with shocking footage showing brawls breaking out and people plunging into a canal.

Disorder was reported across the UK, with large fights in Liverpool, Birmingham and Hull caught on camera, and groups attacking police in London.

Emergency services reported a huge volume of calls as fans vented their frustration after England crashed out of the competition.

Men and women are seen throwing punches in a clip taken in Birmingham last night as a fight broke out despite police appeals for calm.

And football fans were seen diving into canals and climbing lampposts in Britain’s second city, the Birmingham Mail reports.

Did you see any trouble after last night’s game? Email [email protected]

In London a senior police officer said a group had attempted to attack him and a colleague in Shoreditch while they were giving first aid.

City of London Police Superintendent Billy Duffy posted on Twitter: "Disappointed by a small group within the crowd who wanted to provoke / intimidate / attack me + colleague when we were alone + attempting to administer first aid."

The London Ambulance Service said it was called to 300 incidents per hour in the aftermath of the game.

One 999 call was made for someone who had climbed – and fallen from – a lamppost.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said that in the hour following the close of play, it had taken almost 240 999 calls compared to 120 in the hour before.

In Liverpool, angry fans threw bottles and trays inside a pub in St Helens, the Liverpool Echo reports.

The Gerard Arms pub later released a statement blasting "mindless thuggery", saying the World Cup had been peaceful up to that point.

It said: "What we cannot plan for is one case of sporadic mindless thuggery.

"Unfortunately a fight broke out as England were knocked out and we immediately closed the bar and we tried our best to contain the incident."

Police also had to break up a large brawl in Hull as tempers ran high, the Hull Daily Mail revealed.

And in the capital, the Metropolitan Police said there had been a "small number of incidents and arrests", but the force’s football unit thanked the public for "making our job tonight easier".

Overall police said there was no repeat of ugly scenes which marred England’s win over Sweden at the weekend.

How to cure a bad hangover – fast and quick cures from best foods to science-approved tricks

Humberside Police and door staff had to break up a brawl in Hull which broke out during the match.

BBC reporter David Harrison caught this picture from the police’s Silver Command suite in Hull.

Punches were being thrown as tempers flared after Croatia equalised against England, which ultimately led to their victory and Three Lion’s defeat.

In Nottingham, where a taxi was smashed up after the 2-0 quarter-final victory against Sweden, more officers were drafted in – and some rest days cancelled – to quell any disorder.

Steve Cooper, who led the policing operation, said: "We have made two arrests for domestic abuse-related offences, but the levels of criminal damage, disorder and antisocial behaviour that we saw on the weekend have not been repeated.

"People have been really cooperative and patient while we closed a number of roads in the city centre to move on the crowds of people leaving Nottingham Castle and have made their way under instruction of uniformed colleagues."

The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) said 387 football-related incidents were recorded at the weekend, mostly alcohol-related disorder.

But Wednesday evening passed more peacefully with police saying the vast majority of fans left pubs and parks "with their heads held high and without issue".

A mass brawl kicked off in a Birmingham city street involving over a dozen men outside the Cat and the Fiddle pub in Great Barr.

In the footage, shocked football fans look on in horror as men and women swing for each other in the middle of Waverley Avenue.

Screams, cursing and grunts can be heard as the woman is attacked once more amid a large crowd of brawling fans.

Read More

Top Stories from

  • England’s World Cup hangover
  • Live updates from Trump visit
  • Hero Thai cave rescue diver returns
  • Tourist’s 21-hour lilo ordeal

One woman is even knocked to the floor in the vicious brawl as another female is seen throwing something at her.

Several punters try to hold each other back from getting involved in the violence, but it then breaks up into several smaller fights.

One man hurls several punches at a younger male, before chasing him around the corner towards Beacon Road.

On Broad Street, 100 onlookers egged on as revellers jumped into the canal, including one young woman who needed treatment from an ambulance crew.

In a tweet, the service said: "It’s been a disappointing night already, please don’t make it worse by doing something you might regret for the rest of your life. Lots of calls coming in for fights and other incidents leaving people injured when they didn’t need to be. #staysafe #HeadForHome "

And the number of 999 calls has skyrocketed since Croatia’s victory over England, the Assistant Chief at West Midlands Ambulance Service said.

The service says it had taken over 240 emergency calls in the first hour since the football finished, compared to just 120 when fans were placated by the match.

Assistant Chief officer Nathan Hudson branded the number of assaults and large scale fights as "madness" in a tweet shortly after the game.

Police were forced to break up a crowd outside a the Full House pub in Hemel Hempsted as red flares were set off in the aftermath of the defeat.

Patrons brawled outside the venue as dozen onlookers watched nearby and recorded the incident on their phones.

Source: Read Full Article