Royal fans in a panic over Kate Middleton and Prince William blunder on Sky News

Royal fans were plunged into a panic over Kate Middleton and Prince William after a blunder on Sky News on Friday.

The broadcaster reported the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had told the Queen they would not return to work as senior royals.

Twitter users were quick to pick up on the apparent mix-up with Meghan and Harry's Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles by Sky News Breaking account and its TV bulletins.

The tweet, which has been corrected, said: "Buckingham Palace says the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have told the Queen they will not return as working members of the Royal family."

Retired John Brittain wrote: "#skynews got this wrong. It’s Sussex’s. Not Cambridge’s"

@MrSameer_ shared the same Sky News tweet and wrote: "Your breaking news says Cambridge? Your person who is in charge of social media needs coffee?"

Christopher Harris shared a clip of a Sky News segment showing the blunder in the bulletins at 12.07pm.

The self-styled "pedant" Liverpool FC fan wrote: "@skynews I think you mean Sussex not Cambridge."

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have told the Queen they will not return as working members of the Royal Family, it emerged today.

  • Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's 'sharp' statement suggests couple 'not happy'

A Buckingham Palace statement said the royals were "saddened by their decision" but that Harry and Meghan "remain much loved members of the family".

Honorary military appointments and royal patronages – such as Harry's affiliation with the Royal Marines – will be returned to the Queen and "redistributed among working members of The Royal Family".

Harry and Meghan stepped back as working members of the Royal Family last year as they began a new life in the US, and a 12-month review on their future was launched.

  • Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle get to keep Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles

The couple's statement said: "As evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.

"We can all live a life of service. Service is universal."

The news came after Harry's grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh spent a third night in hospital after feeling unwell earlier this week.

Prince Philip had hoped to return home on Thursday but remained at the King Edward VII’s hospital in central London.

  • Prince Andrew’s birthday message from Queen slammed as 'wrong move' by fans

He stayed in for “observation and rest” on the advice of the palace's doctor.

Philip was described as being in “good spirits” after he walked unaided into the hospital on Tuesday night.

Buckingham Palace has said the 99-year-old Duke went in as a “precautionary measure”.

The palace's Royal Family Twitter account earlier shared a 61st birthday message for Prince Andrew who faces continued controversy over his friendship to late paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Alongside pictures of her Majesty, it wrote: "#OnThisDay in 1960 The Queen was safely delivered of a son, the first child born to a reigning Monarch since 1857.

"Her Majesty is pictured holding Prince Andrew in 1961 on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, alongside The Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne and The Queen Mother."

Source: Read Full Article