If you have a dog you’ll know that their breath can get quite stinky, so it can be tempting to brush them with some minty fresh toothpaste.
While it’s important to make sure they keep their mouth hygienic, it turns out human toothpaste is actually harmful for pups – and can actually be deadly.
RSPCA says the toothpaste is bad for your pets, as the fluoride and occasional use of artificial sweetener could prove toxic to dogs if it was to be swallowed.
Worst of all, the presence of xylitol in certain types of toothpaste could prove even more serious – potentially leading to death if left untreated.
This forms part of a worrying trend, as nearly one in ten dog owners (8 per cent) have been found to give their pets human toothpaste, according to a survey by Lily’s Kitchen.
Owners have done so to improve their pup’s bad breath, but could actually be causing more harm than good.
Caroline Allen, London veterinary director at the RSPCA, warned: "Not only will pets be less likely to tolerate the foaming and the minty flavour of human toothpaste but there is also a risk to their health from swallowing human toothpaste.
"While there is a potential risk to pets from the ongoing swallowing of fluoride
"The inclusion of the artificial sweetener xylitol in toothpastes is a more serious concern as this is much more toxic and products containing this ingredient should not be given to dogs."
Alongside toothpaste, the survey also found that dog owners were giving their animals mints to cure their bad breath.
A spokesperson for the charity advised long-suffering owners to instead brush their pet’s teeth daily with specialist toothpaste.
Chewable treats and bespoke dental diets aimed at preventing plaque hardening were also recommended as alternatives to keep your dog’s breath fresh.
Source: Read Full Article