Spain: Coronavirus threat from tourists discussed by expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Spain’s borders have remained open to German tourists despite residents facing strict regulation to limit the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Spanish reported Maria Llull said concerns are growing among the locals about the double-edged sword facing them as tourists threaten to bring in new infections but closures put the struggling economy further at risk. Speaking to BBC Newscast, Ms Llull said: “They are excited because we need German money.
“And we’re worried because there are six tourists in a hotel because they are ill, they have coronavirus.
“We are increasing our cases, we are starting to have problems because we’re thinking about summer.
“If we don’t have tourism in the summer, we don’t know what it’s going to happen because it’s chaos for us.
“There are a lot of people unemployed and everything depends on tourism here.”
JUST IN: Chris Whitty ‘very unhappy’ with Boris Johnson after Whitehall erupted in Covid row
The Spanish reporter also discussed the “illogical” regulations Spaniards are being asked to follow as the Spanish Government struggles to contain the risks of a new wave of Covid cases.
Ms Llull confirmed sunbathers are being asked to keep their face masks on while on the beach as she questioned rules limiting indoor contact between relatives.
She continued: “Our rules are that you cannot go visit your friends, your family in other houses.
“You can go out out of your house, you can go to a bar and see your parents but you cannot go to your parents’ house.
READ MORE: EU shoots itself in foot: 19 states turn on bloc over threat to ban UK from vital research
Spain: Expert discusses country re-opening to tourists
“We don’t understand this in Mallorca and our Government has said they are going to speak to the Spanish Government because this is not logical, it makes no sense.”
Madrid confirmed on Wednesday it would extend the use of AstraZeneca’s vaccine to essential workers over 65 years old to cater to previously excluded groups at a time when infections are rising again across most regions.
Health Minister Carolina Darias told a news conference Spain would take delivery of 1 million doses of the shots on Thursday, and that the government was on track to hit a target of vaccinating 70% of the population this summer.
Shots made by the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker were previously destined for essential workers like police officers and teachers up to the age of 65, while vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech are reserved for people over 80.
EU export chaos: Italy blocks meningitis vaccine shipment [REVEAL]
AstraZeneca vaccine side effects: 16 reported side effects [INSIGHT]
AstraZeneca warning: Clotting cases ‘confined to younger women’ [COMMENT]
Spain temporarily suspended the AstraZeneca shot in early March over concerns it caused a rare clotting disorder but resumed using it once the European Union drug regulator EMA gave its backing.
Approaches are now diverging across the 27-nation EU, with some countries lifting age limits altogether and Germany limiting the use of the AstraZeneca shot to those over 60 years old.
Many people find the situation confusing.
“I don’t care what Germany thinks,” a retired civil servant who identified herself as Charo said outside Atletico Madrid’s Wanda football stadium, which has been converted into a mass vaccination centre.
“What I want is for scientists to tell us what the benefits and side-effects are. I want trustworthy information, which I have not found so far,” she said.
Source: Read Full Article