Terrifying moment teenagers dance and take selfies in the middle of a level crossing – as shocked rail bosses announce they will CLOSE the walkway in a bid to save lives
- Shocking footage shows youngsters posing for pictures on Derbyshire crossing
- Network Rail responded by announcing it will be closed until further notice
- Decision follows eight instances of deliberate misuse at the crossing in Matlock
Youngsters have been captured dancing recklessly and posing for selfies at a live level crossing in unnerving footage.
Network Rail will close the crossing until further notice after the shocking scenes in Matlock, Derbyshire.
It comes after eight incidents of deliberate misuse were captured in just one day in 2015.
The operator has urged pedestrians not to be complacent when crossing train tracks.
Vicki Beadle, community safety manager at Network Rail, said: ‘Time and time again we see people with a blatant disregard for safety at this level crossing.
The operator is closing the crossing after spotting people taking selfies and dancing recklessly in Derbyshire
Video has emerged of people posing for pictures on the level crossing in Matlock, forcing authorities to shut it
‘The footage is shocking and people need to realise that this type of complacent attitude is incredibly dangerous.
‘We’ve seen adults with children taking selfies on the crossing, people walking down the tracks and young people using the crossing with their eyes glued to their mobile phones.
Terrifying moment car gets hit by a train at a level…
Crossing the line: reckless driver ignores level crossing…
Share this article
‘Level crossings need to be treated with the respect they deserve as they are there to keep you safe.
‘We’re doing lots to improve safety at level crossings, including working closely with the British Transport Police, running safety campaigns and awareness days, as well as visiting schools to highlight the dangers of trespassing and messing about on the railway.
People stand on the tracks at the level crossing where teenagers have been spotted taking pictures of themselves
Network Rail is closing the level crossing in response to deliberate misuses at the site in Matlock, Derbyshire
‘This crossing will close later this year which shows just how seriously we take incidents of deliberate misuse at level crossings.’
After it is closed later this year, access over the line will still be allowed via an existing road and underpass nearby.
Network Rail has also issued advice for how to be safe at level crossings:
- Stop, Look and Listen for a train before opening the gate
- If there is one coming then wait until it has passed and you are sure there isn’t a second one approaching
- Once you’re sure the track is clear, open the gate and walk across the track to the other side – without rushing
- Make sure the gate is closed behind you
- If crossing in a large group, make sure there is enough time and space for everyone to cross safely
- Always keep dogs on a lead when near the railway
Source: Read Full Article