Tragic mum dies just days after six-week-old baby son passed away suddenly

A tragic mum died just three days after her six-week-old baby boy passed away suddenly in hospital, an inquest heard.

Mum Selina Hall, 33, was recovering from drug addiction when she gave birth to her son Cian.

The Dublin woman was found dead in bed just hours before she and the newborn’s father were due to receive his body from hospital, the inquest heard.

Ms Hall’s teenage daughter told the Irish Mirror that her mum was devastated over the loss of Cian and she believes she died of a "broken heart".

The inquest heard Ms Hall was on a methadone programme and was treated for withdrawal symptoms at Coombe Hospital in Dublin.

The drugs were not a factor in Cian’s death, Dublin Coroner’s Court was told.

The baby was diagnosed with neonatal abstinence syndrome shortly after birth. The condition occurs when a baby is exposed to drugs in the womb.

In addition, the baby was treated with phenobarbital, a sedative to help him settle.

Cian had gained weight and his condition had improved, allowing him to go home with his parents. However, hours after he left hospital he was found unresponsive by his mother at home.

His grandmother had administered his phenobarbital medication as part of his feed around one-and-a-half hours earlier.

The infant was rushed to hospital where he was placed on life-support.

He was pronounced dead the following day. An autopsy gave the cause of death as sudden unexpected death in infancy with a past history of neonatal abstinence syndrome on phenobarbital.

Nothing abnormal was detected at autopsy and the child’s medication was present at normal levels, a toxicology report found.

Returning a narrative verdict setting out the circumstances of the boy’s passing, Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane said: “There is no pathological evidence to suggest drugs or injury played any role in his death.”

Three days after Cian died, Ms Hall was found dead in bed on the morning the parents were due to receive Cian’s body from hospital, the inquest heard.

An autopsy found she died due to multi-drug toxicity with evidence of diazepam, methadone and alcohol in her system.

The coroner returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

Speaking after her mother’s inquest, Chloe Hall White, 19, said she and her siblings “never wanted for anything”.

She added: “She was a great mother. She was devastated after baby Cian. She’d visited him every day in hospital.

“She fed him and came back to collect the others from school and went back into him.

“I really believe she died of a broken heart. She lived for her kids.”

Source: Read Full Article