A beloved Upper East Side doorman who died in a freak snow-shoveling accident would be alive today if the building owners had installed tempered safety glass in their entryway, a federal lawsuit charges.
Miguel Gonzalez, 59, died during a Feb. 9, 2017 blizzard that dumped nearly 10 inches of snow on the city. He was shoveling the steps at 333 E. 93rd St., where he worked for 30 years, when he lost his footing, tumbled backward down the stairs and crashed through a plate-glass window. His throat was slit as his head slammed through the glass.
Gonzalez was rushed to Metropolitan Hospital, but the Bridgeport, Conn. resident could not be saved.
The doorman “died as a direct … result” of the building using “pane glass” for its entry door, “which formed deadly and dangerous glass shards when broken, instead of safety glass, which does not form deadly and dangerous shards when broken,” the suit says.
Gonzalez’s niece, Lissette Colon, brought the wrongful death suit, which seeks unspecified damages, in Manhattan federal court, against the owners and managers of the property: MSMC Residential Realty and Rose Associates.
The E. 93rd Street apartment building is home for many Mount Sinai doctors and residents.
Gonzalez was a churchgoing grandpa who was “humble” and “very giving,” The Post reported.
Elena Gonzalez, who declined comment, remains “heartbroken over the loss of her husband,” said attorney, Joel Faxon. The couple would have celebrated their 34th wedding anniversary on Valentine’s Day.
“Had the landowner simply complied with current building codes and fitted the entryway with tempered safety glass rather than dangerous plate glass, this horrific tragedy never would have happened,” the lawyer said.
Source: Read Full Article