Channel 4 ‘axes iconic reality show after 16 years’ – as it becomes latest casualty amid claims the broadcaster is battling to cut costs
- READ MORE: What happened to your favourite Don’t Tell The Bride couples?
Channel 4 has reportedly axed iconic reality series Don’t Tell The Bride after 16 years.
For nearly two decades viewers were left entertained watching hapless grooms who never nail the dream wedding their bride has been wishing for since she was a little girl.
Yet fans will now have to content themselves with rewatching old episodes of the programme as it’s become the latest casualty amid Channel 4’s alleged cost cutting exercise.
A source told The Sun: ‘People are flocking to E4 right now to watch MAFS UK in their millions – but whilst there’s no plans for DTTB to return at the moment, it’s clear that people love the chaos and drama that wedding fever brings – so who knows what could happen!’
The show, which originally aired on BBC Three, saw couples given £14,000 to spend on their wedding.
End of an era: Channel 4 has reportedly axed iconic reality series Don’t Tell The Bride after 16 years as it becomes the latest casualty amid claims the broadcaster is battling to cut costs
However, the money came on the condition that the groom would make all the decisions – including dress, venue and catering, and have no contact with their bride for three weeks until they met down the aisle.
Don’t Tell The Bride moved to BBC One in 2015 before going to Sky One the following year. Channel 4’s sister network E4 begain airing the show in 2017.
MailOnline has contacted Channel 4 for comment.
The alleged axe comes amid a slew of cancellations with the broadcaster reportedly battling to cut costs amid financial challenges.
The Mail on Sunday revealed that staff at the channel are calling it a ‘bloodbath’.
Controversial cult late night show Naked Attraction, big-money celebrity flop, Scared Of The Dark and groundbreaking medical documentary Rescue: Extreme Medics, based in Scotland, have all been canned.
A source said that the channel believes it is better to cut its losses.
But staff blame Chief Content Officer, Ian Katz, for wasting money on expensive but little-watched shows such as reality series Rise And Fall, which is understood to have cost the channel £14 million – money which could not be justified because of its low ratings.
Oh dear: For nearly two decades viewers were left entertained watching hapless grooms who never nail the dream wedding their bride has been wishing for (Series one stars Bianca and Adam pictured)
One insider said: ‘Everyone is calling it a Channel 4 bloodbath. At first everyone was in total shock when Four Weddings was cancelled.
‘It’s almost unheard of that a show that is going really well is decommissioned, but as news started to spread, other shows were falling down too.
‘They were told that Ian Katz had been looking at the channel’s entire output, and they were sorry but it had to happen because there was no money.
‘The casting team were already in place to start on Naked Attraction and were all told they were no longer needed as they were not making another series.
‘They tried to lessen the blow to the show’s freelance crew by saying they hope to make another series in December, but that doesn’t help them now.’
Cancelled: The alleged axe comes amid a slew of cancellations of big shows such as Naked Attraction with Channel 4 reportedly battling to cut costs amid financial challenges
Source: Read Full Article